Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Attaching a terminal to battery

madnessUNC

Mar 11, 2016
hi, I'm trying to replace a clock battery on an old game console. I got the old battery off the pcb, but when I got the new battery (ml2020, exactly the same) in the mail, it had a different positive terminal. I was able to pop off the old one, but I'm not sure how to attach it to the new battery. It's essentially a watch battery.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
hi, I'm trying to replace a clock battery on an old game console. I got the old battery off the pcb, but when I got the new battery (ml2020, exactly the same) in the mail, it had a different positive terminal. I was able to pop off the old one, but I'm not sure how to attach it to the new battery. It's essentially a watch battery.
Tabs on batteries are often welded into place... I've seen soldering done with varying success...
If you have the room, try to solder a holder onto the board, and simply slide the battery into the holder.

(This sounds like you are repairing an old GameBoy cartridge)

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Welcome to EP!
Some sharply-focussed cloe-up pics would help.

madnessUNC

Mar 11, 2016
Thanks! I'll look into a holder or try soldering it to the battery. I'm not sure how it was on to begin with, but probably welded like you said. It's a rechargeable date/time battery for the sega dreamcast.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 93

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Trying to solder onto the battery itself would be a bad idea.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Thanks! I'll look into a holder or try soldering it to the battery. I'm not sure how it was on to begin with, but probably welded like you said. It's a rechargeable date/time battery for the sega dreamcast.
Try the holder first. It's the most ideal approach... Soldering to the battery directly is difficult and has a high probability of damaging the battery wither by lowering it's expected life, or destroying it... hence why I said varying results...

madnessUNC

Mar 11, 2016
What about that conductive glue? Would that work/be worth having around? Or is it a gimmick product?

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Looks like the dead battery +ve tag was spot-welded onto the battery originally.
You should be able to buy a replacement battery with tags already on. That said, I recently had to replace a similar battery and rather than send off for a tagged one I cobbled together a holder from a bit of tinned circuit board and a springy tinned pin from an old connector, so that I could use a CR2032 I had in my spares box.

madnessUNC

Mar 11, 2016
Looks like the dead battery +ve tag was spot-welded onto the battery originally.
You should be able to buy a replacement battery with tags already on. That said, I recently had to replace a similar battery and rather than send off for a tagged one I cobbled together a holder from a bit of tinned circuit board and a springy tinned pin from an old connector, so that I could use a CR2032 I had in my spares box.
Ok, thank you. I'm just getting into small electronic tinkering, so I don't have many excess materials. But I can't wait to be able to "cobble" stuff together. I'll get a new battery, the one I ordered had the wrong +tab. It was my mistake.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Ok, thank you. I'm just getting into small electronic tinkering, so I don't have many excess materials. But I can't wait to be able to "cobble" stuff together. I'll get a new battery, the one I ordered had the wrong +tab. It was my mistake.
Sounds good.
When push comes to shove, you can cobble together a holder out of almost anything... at one point I used a paper-clip and electrical tape xD
This is true with any battery though... the tabs that come with are spot welded, you can tell by looking at two ore more little indents where the welder touched. This process it incredibly quick. The soldering method takes a longer time and heats up the battery, in addition, the metal on the battery does not like to adhere very nicely so most people keep trying over and over... you can imagine the hell the battery goes through in this process.