Connect with us

Atmel Chip Programmer

Discussion in 'Microcontrollers, Programming and IoT' started by GreenGiant, Jan 22, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    My friend and I want to start building little projects into permanent items, but we dont want to use an Arduino every time that we want to make something. So I want to either get or build a chip programmer that we can insert the chip into or plug the chip into a few pins or something.

Does anyone know off hand if there are some pre-built for Atmel chips in general or would I need to get a specific chip programmer?

Or would you have recommends towards a place where I can find a circuit diagram for one?

We both have 2 Arduino Mega 2560's and I also have an Arduino Leonardo so if we could use the chip off either of those it would probably be easier.

2. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    http://store.atmel.com/PartDetail.aspx?q=p:10500054

I am a PIC guy, so I have no experience with this, but I would highly reccommend getting a cheap programmer from AVR. If they are anything like PIC using any 3rd party one is asking for trouble.

Bob

3. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    You can purchase the Atmel chips. You'll need a programmer for them to put the boot-loaded onto them (which is a good way if you're going to continue using the same code that you prototyped on the Arduino).

There's plenty about. I picked up a Chinese one from eBay for a small number of dollars.

If you do go the Arduino bootloader route, and you're not planning on adding the USB interface chip onto your circuit, then you'll need a programming header (or a socketed chip) on your board (to allow firmware updates). There are some boards which contain just the USB interface chip and headers so you can get very close to emulating the same programming interface. Again, only a few $$$.

edit: I'm only playing around, and about $20 for a couple of Atmel chips, and the 2 programmers seemed like a low-cost way to have a fiddle. BobK probably speaks wise words. (I haven't even had all of it arrive yet, so I can't comment on how well they work. :D)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  4. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    So if I just get that one piece that you suggested Bob do I need a way to put the boot loader on them?

we are only planning on programming the chips once and then just letting it run.

So if I get that programmer we can just program it via the arduino software and then upload it onto the chip from there?

or should I get something else?

5. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    I have not used Arduino, but I think I can safely say that any programmer capable of programming the chip can put the bootloader on it. This of course assumes that you have the booltoader hex file. Then, to use the Arduino software, you need a way to download programs onto the chip using USB. An arduion board with a socket would be able to do this.

But, in the long run, you might want to go to programming the chip directly using the programmer and a C compiler and IDE from Atmel. I use PIC this way. On each board I make, I add a 5 pin header, then I can program it as many times as I want without swapping the chip into a programmer socket. In fact, I typically solder my chips to the proto board or PC board before programming.

Bob

Ask a Question