Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Atmega 8 Bit Console

chickens1127

Nov 22, 2009
I've always had the dream of building MY own video console.. in fact, I hacked a mouse and designed a kind of wii remote, but it had terribe motion control and never did what you wanted. That was when I was nine. Five and a half years later, I've learned Python and Ruby, know some C++ and a tiny bit of Java. I've messed with microcontrollers before at a club, but not too much. But hell, with a two week spring vacation, and a whole week free, what the hell? If I'm gonna try, I myswell try.
That being said, I'm a programmer first, then an electrician. I have experience with basic electronics(still struggle with the purpose of resistors). I already can see the comments, "Try something simpler". Well I've been doing smaller projects for years and finally want to learn as I go.
I saw this guy- he built an Atmega eight bit console.. he was from Honduras maybe? Nicuragua? Gave me some inspiration.
I don't care TOO much abount sound. Meh. I can live without. What I care about is trying to implement NES style color. Is that possible with Atmega chips? If no, then what kind of chip? Furthermore, I'd like to implement some type of "cartridge".. what's the easiest route? A bunch of free 56 MB USB flash drives? SD cards? Propietary?
I think a controller is simple enough. Two buttons (A and B) and a single toggle joystick(like on present day consoles to control direction.) No need to have the two controllers detachable (I'd like two controllers- like a friend would want to play an 8 bit console nowadays!!)

I'll take all suggestions, but please try to keep them positive. I'm not giving up on my dream and just buying a NES! My goal is to program an 8 bit baseball, hockey, and shooter game. That's all, and I'm happy.

chickens1127

Nov 22, 2009
help please.. spring break starts tomorrow I need a suggestion whether I should stick with Atmega chips, buy an arduino, or a more complex chip.. thanks!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Your post probably asks so many questions and has so many uncertainties that nobody thinks they can really help.

I, for one, would suggest you discover what resistors are for before you try to implement a video game console. If you don't know what resistors do, then I imagine decoupling capacitors would likewise be a mystery.

You give yourself good advice. Start with something simpler.

These devices are programmable, you're a programmer. Implement some stuff in piecewise fashion. I'd look at bottom-up design because it's at the detail level where you'll bang your head against hardware limitations.

chickens1127

Nov 22, 2009
Well.. um.. thanks for the advice.
I understand your suggestion... however finally I'd like to dive into the project with my beginner's electronics book. Thank you for the attempt, I'll ask somewhere else about the Atmega chip

thanks again

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I hope you don't approach coding like that... (And I speak from 33 years of professional experience in that field)

If you do ask somewhere else, my advice is that you ask something specific rather than post an omnibus question that people will avoid.