Maker Pro
Maker Pro

ASAP HELP.. guitar preamp

electronoobz

Jan 14, 2012
i need a guitar preamp cause im using a computer as my guitar effect processor and i always play every sunday.. i need to improve our playing... can you give me a simple and easy to make guitar preamp scheme please?

Axel87

Aug 18, 2012
Building a preamp DIY is going to be no easy task.
Building the amp circuitry is simple enough, but then you have to convert your guitar(analog) to something the computer understands(Digital). The A/D converters can get very complex and expensive.
If you have a newer computer or laptop it most likely has a preamp built in for an 1/8 mic input. It possibly has a line out as well. You can utilize this to a certain extent.
Create 2 -1/8 to 1/4" cables. Easy enough to solder up, schemos all over google.
This should work relatively alright, these are both line level signals as long as you dont convert to mic line level, dont set line out level all the way as this will distort the already poor quality signal going to your amp/mixer ect.
First response, hope this helps a bit

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Last week it was a rush to make a pre-amp for your PA, this week it's a rush to make pre-amp for the guitar?

I think it's time you slow down and stop rushing to meet Sunday deadlines...

As hinted at above, you are not going to simply plug you guitar in to the computer and get quality results even with a pre-amp... If you want quality you are going to either spend the money on the proper equipment or design some high end interfaces...

Also a pre-amp is not going to 'improve your playing' it's simply going to amplify a signal to another level...

Last edited:

electronoobz

Jan 14, 2012
that is why i am making it.. i want to boost my signal.. and yeah last week is a trouble.. hahaha but i told myself to just make a new and simple one cause that scheme is hard for me..

Axel87

Aug 18, 2012
I dont realy understand what you are after here.
If all you need is to be LOUDER then you need not only a bigger amp but bigger speakers(Output). If you simply build a preamp pre-mixer( I assume mixer because of the church setting) you are only going to distort the input of the board, possibly damaging not only the board but the PA as well.
If you are still planning on using your laptop as an effects unit, i would look into buying a A/D-D/A converter. Like a nything Presounus, if your looking for cheap and on a budget.
I am not one to harp for others to buy something if they can build it, but when you want to any anlalog/digital conversion circuitry becomes complex.
I personally hate digital- AND/OR/XOR...Ahh COME ON!!
Try to be a little more clear with what your looking for? Loudness or effects?

electronoobz

Jan 14, 2012
so when i asked the ultimate-guitar forum they told me to this kind of ordering

Guitar>Preamp>PC/laptop>Power Amp>PA system

there... that's it.. i dont need a fancy one.. just a simple one like CDRIVE gave me

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
so when i asked the ultimate-guitar forum they told me to this kind of ordering

Guitar>Preamp>PC/laptop>Power Amp>PA system

there... that's it.. i dont need a fancy one.. just a simple one like CDRIVE gave me

I believe the impedance of PC audio inputs fall in the range of 10KΩ. That amplifier is designed to drive impedances closer to 100KΩ. I was told by Kris that 100KΩ is typical on guitar power amps, which is what this was designed to drive.

Chris

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
You just need an audio amplifier with an input impedance around 100 kilohms or higher, that will drive the line level audio input of your laptop.

Just google guitar preamp. There are hundreds of suitable designs out there. Look for ones that are battery powered and use an op-amp. These will be the simplest. You probably don't need tone controls.