Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Are these capacitors neccessary?

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
The capacitors are there to stabilise the power supply when the IC produces pulses. Leaving them out, may work but it may also upset other components connected to the same power supply. The values are not critical so you may have something similar that would do.

c131frdave

Oct 4, 2013
Makes sense. Thank you for the reply. I am putting this in a car- the driver was designed for automotive use- and will be using the battery supply from the car, so perhaps it would be a good idea since the alternator is constantly kicking on and off. Am I thinking correctly?

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
I would not worry about the alternator but there are other things around like the starter which can cause voltage spikes, the supply in a car can be very dirty.

I have recently repaired a board out of a combine harvester. This was fitted with a protection diode which limited the voltage and if overloaded, would go short circuit. This is what happened and since no fuse was fitted, it burnt out the printed circuit track but it saved the microprocessor.

The diode was BZC0205Z available from CPC (Farnel) SC07267. It gave its life to save the circuit.