Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Arduino DC Amplifier Help

Logan Nichols

Nov 25, 2015
Hello

I am currently working on a project whereby an output pin of the arduino needs to control the blacking out of shutter 3D glasses. I need to deliver ~9/10V to the shutter glasses to blacken them and then have them fade back to transparent. I have this mocked up using an LED for now, using the 5V output from the arduino.

My question regards boosting this 5V output to the required 10V, I am unsure of the best approach here. I will be using a 9V battery to power the arduino and have considered switching this to the glasses by using a MOSFET controlled by a digital pin. The downside with this is the output will be locked and I will not be able to fade the voltage out. I am also considering using a non inverting op amp however I am unsure whether the output current will be suitable.

Any ideas here would be super appreciated !

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Use an analog output (filtered PWM) from the arduino as input to an inverting operational amplifier. Power the amplifier by an additional 9V battery, so it has dual +-9V supply. Set the amplifier's gain to ~1.8 to match the input 0V...5V to an output of 0V...-9V (note that for fully reaching -9V you'll have to use an operational amplifier with rail-to-rail output!).
Using only the 9V batttery that powers the arduino will not suffice as you lack the negative supply (-9V) for the LCd drive. You could, however, use a charge pump based voltage inverter to create -9V from +9V as the power requirements of the LCD are probably very low. That leaves you with a single battery plus some electronics (which you will need anyway for the opamp).