Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Arduino Ambilight

kelvinmead

Nov 22, 2011
Ambilight is the copyrighted name given to the Phillips backlighting system in their TVs. Many people have tried to copy them with their computer, or using processing to decode the image, but I'm trying to do a standalone arduino based one.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=a...U4mCN4XuOdXpgcAF&ved=0CD0Q7Ak&biw=320&bih=529

aiming for the holy grail of an independent system for an ambilight system, which as i know arduino, is the basis.

1. take the hdmi signal, simple split and run one into the tv, the other is used for processing

2. run the hdmi through a hdcp quality kit currently on the market, £20 from ebay, and results in a composite output.

3. take the composite output and using the circuit below, gain access to the SYNC, RED, GREEN, BLUE values.

4. from a start point of 0,0 (top left of screen) take flash values of each RGB, pause wait for signal to get to middle point of screen, take values, continue until 3 points at top of screen, 3 left hand side, 3 right hand side, 3 bottom. if i can get the code running quick enough, upgrade to 6/8 points on top and bottom, and 6 points right and left.

5. convert data in for the rgb, and convert to led values and output the led values,

6. stick a pretty fade out, for extra ambience.

initially, do i have some glaringly obvious holes to fill?

mcezvo.png

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
The TDA3330 is meant to be used with PAL or NTSC signals. I doubt it will work with HDTV signals from an HDMI connection.

Google "arduino ambilight" for some published circuits.

kelvinmead

Nov 22, 2011
I Have the hdmi to composite converter, with a pal / NTSC selection switch.

All the ambilights around you need a computer underneath chugging away

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Yeah, the trick is to capture the screen and process the image.

The closest thing I can find is this.