Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Arc Welder Simulator

Robert Byrne

Nov 10, 2015
Hi guys
I'm just wondering if anyone has done a circuit using the 555 chip to simulate an arc welder. I'm a modeller and I was hoping to make a circuit for an engine shed to make it look like there was welding or cutting taking place inside.
Thanks
Robert

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
A 555 will give you a much too regular blinking instead of the irregular flickering of an arc welder. Googling "arc welder led simulation model" turns up a few hits, e.g. this one. The PCB for this circuit is no longer avaliable, but protoboard will be fine for its construction.
Or try this site which seems to offer kits, even including sound :cool:

Robert Byrne

Nov 10, 2015
Thank you guys, I was hoping to build one rather than buy, just for the challenge, I had ordered some 555 chips as I thought they might work. Is there any other chip I might use? I thought if I were to change around the capacitor and resistors I could speed up or slow down the flickering. I could be wrong tho.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
You can speed it up and slow it down!.
But only on / off faster or slower.
Check out the web site Talkingelectronics.com and look at rail road electronics.

Martin

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
arc_weld_sch.gif

Robert Byrne

Nov 10, 2015
Thanks very much guys, that one does some extremely hard and difficult, I don't know if I could do it, I do have some strip board but I wouldn't know where to start.

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
The $6.00 kit is very unrealistic.

You can buy a flickering LED for $1.00 and drive another super bright white LED via a transistor to get a much better effect.

This very simple circuit replaces a very complex circuit because all the random flashing is done via a microscopic microcontroller inside the flickering LED.
These LEDs can be purchased on eBay and you can contact Colin Mitchell for the link.
The super-bright white LED flashes much more than the flickering LED because the transistor and the 1u electrolytic picks up the pulses (the waveform) across the 470R resistor and only the main changes are transferred to the white LED.

ArcWelder.gif

Last edited:

Robert Byrne

Nov 10, 2015
I was going to buy some of the flashing led but I was unsure if I'd be able to adjust how fast it flashes. It's a great idea tho

Robert Byrne

Nov 10, 2015
Oh I thought it was the flashing ones, do you think the flickering would work? I thought they might be like those tea cup candle lights(battery operated) and not fast enough

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
BC547 is NPN, as shown in the diagram. If you want to bild circuits from scratch, you need to know at least the basic symbols.

Oh I thought it was the flashing ones, do you think the flickering would work? I thought they might be like those tea cup candle lights(battery operated) and not fast enough
Give it a try. Using a white LED may make the effect look entirely different from what the yellow LED in teh canlde let's you assume.

Does one strip the LED out of the candle fittings as I cannot see any seperate flickering LED's shown on Ebay.
Yes, that is a possibility. And given the price for a complete "tealight" probably not much more expensive.