Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Applying a Sensor Output Analog voltage to a microcontroller

firstoption

Mar 8, 2014
Good day to all,
Please I need help on how to get a stable 5V to my microcontroller. I want to convert the Output analog Signal from a sensor to digital Signal using the ADC peripheral in a microncontroller.According to the datasheet of the sensor,the Output voltage analog Signal has a range of : 0 to 5/10V. This means that the sensor can Output 0 to 5V OR 0 to 10V. My question is that is there a chip that i can use(or construct a small circuit) such that when the sensor Outputs 5V,I will get 5V from the Output of the chip and in case the sensor Outputs 10V , I will still get 5V from the Output of the chip.The constant Output voltage of 5V is important because my microcontroller maximum operating voltage is 5V.
I would be very grateful if somebody could put me through on how to resolve this issue.
Thank you for the usual support

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
What is the sensor? Can you post the manufacturer and part number, or a link to the data sheet?

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
I don't understand. Why not just operate the sensor in the 0 to 5V mode?

Bob

firstoption

Mar 8, 2014
Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my question . I really appreciate your sense of understanding. I was unable to upload the file because of the size but below is a link to the datasheet:

http://www.micro-epsilon.com/download/products/_temperature/dax--thermoMETER-CTM3--en-us.html
The Information is on page 3 of the datasheet. The model I want to work on is: CTM-3SF22-C3

Why not just operate the sensor in the 0 to 5V mode?

I equally thought of something like a Switch that can be used to select 5V mode or 10V mode but the Problem i am having at the Moment is that i do not have the sensor with me . I was only asked to design a circuit that will convert the analog Output Signal from the sensor to digital Signal. I have sent a message to the Company with respect to the 5V/10V mode but uptill this Moment i have not received any reply. So to be on a safer i am thinking of making Provision for the two modes. Thank you once again for the Support.
Best regards.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Okay. All you need to do to use it in 10V mode is to use a voltage divider to drop the voltage in half.

Bob

firstoption

Mar 8, 2014
Thank you very much for the Response. I am very grateful . You are perfectly i saw the detail Information in the section you directed me to_Once again thank you for the Support.Best regards.