Connect with us

application software

Discussion in 'Microcontrollers, Programming and IoT' started by boots_n_braces, Mar 24, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. boots_n_braces

boots_n_braces

Feb 24, 2012
    Ok here goes another leap into a world of unkown pain:D I have a data logger system (temp,humidity,light intensity, air flow etc) and i would like to link it to my pc, ideally via rf transfer when im done but to start with via usb......well thats about it lol I know absoloutely noting about writing the software for the pc end and MCU wise i always program in assembly regardless to what im doing. So were do i begin? with programs, languages etc?

helllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllp

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    If you want to place a full USB stack into your logger you're "in for a treat"...

Maybe a first and rather simple solution would be using a serial-to-USB converter like FT232 (http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/ICs/FT232R.htm) or similar. You can use it in either of two modes:
    1) as a serial tunnel through USB. On the PC side a virtual COM port is installed which can be used to send and receive data like any RS232. On the logger's side an RS232 interface (but, note, with TTL level) is present which you can connect to the contoller of the logger (assuming a UART is available in the controller).
    2) in "bit-banging" mode where you can use libraries supplied by FTDI (or the vendor of the chip of your choice) to control single lines of the chip's port to do almost anything you want (like emulating an SPI interface, for example). You can find support and programming examples on the net (forums, vendor's support sites etc.).

What programming language to use depends on what you already know. Assembler on the PC is surely not everyone's first choice. I have made good experiences with Microsoft VisualBasic Express (http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/express). It is free for personal purposes and comes with a very user friendly IDE. Alternatively a c# edition is also freely available.
    In any case some learning is unavoidable since these tools use an object-oriented programming paradigma which is probabply lightyears away from what you are used to do in assembler. But I do not want to raise fear in you: these IDEs plus some support from the net really make it easy to get thisng going rather quickly.

Harald

3. boots_n_braces

boots_n_braces

Feb 24, 2012
    Hi harald, Thanks for the info do you have any recommended reading or tutorials? theres so much out there its hard to know were to start. Ideally id just like to get the data onto the pc and formatted so i can receive it in excel. maybe one day a seperate dedicated program! I also run windows 7 so i imagine thats going to make the whole thing loooots easier.....not:D:D

4. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
Ask a Question