Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Appliance kiloWatt-hours measuring

zampaq

Aug 27, 2011
Im not much of an electronics hobbyist. I did a lot of kit building when i was young and worked at Rod Irving Electronics in Melbourne. I dont even think RIE's still around. I want to know if there is a safe project that can be built to show how many KWH are being used by an appliance at any moment.eg, I have my computer set to turn off hard drive and monitor after 5 mins of no use. Id like to know how much power the computer is using in both awake and sleep modes. There are lots of things I have that Id like to know how much power they are exactly using. I kind of picture something with male and female mains plugs connected like an extention cord with a box with controls workings and interface, set in the middle.
Does anyone know anything about the circuitry involved. Cheers

daddles

Jun 10, 2011
I'd imagine few people build such things since a tool like the Kill-A-Watt is available. I got mine in the US for $20 and it gets heavily used.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
There are so many available so cheaply that it's hardly worth the effort.

I got one free for purchasing some relatively small amount of stuff from Rockby not long ago.

Anything that uses a current clamp to do the measuring will suffer from not being able to measure power factor (and almost certainly thus be incapable of taking it into account). This is a major issue with measuring the power consumed by your PC since it may have a power factor of around 0.7.

edit: if it doesn't have a current clamp it will require direct connection to the mains which clearly means you need to take a lot more care in construction.

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
also here in qld we have a promotion where the government gives you an energy monitor and a remote for switches for 50bucks. check to see if your government has something similiar going. awesome savings to be made

rootboy

Aug 26, 2011
I've got a number of these:

http://www.schneider.nl/docs/Power Meter PM800 technical data sheet.pdf

and one of these:

http://www.powernet-mcl.com/pml/8500.php

at my desk, but I'm not allowed to hand out free samples. :)

As for the circuitry... Hmmm, good question. I had one of the PM8xx's apart the other day robbing a pin out of it to fix another PM850. I'll try to remember to take the "bad" one apart and see if I can figure out what makes it tick. Right now I'm wiring up some switchgear, and I have to get back to it. Oh, the humanity....

Last edited: