Connect with us

Anyone Know what this is?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by defi, Mar 9, 2011.

1. defi

defi

Mar 9, 2011
    First post and first attempt at fixin somethin electronic and I'm stuck tryin to identify a part
    [​IMG]

Its from a 70,s portable record player called a music maker made by mattel I think like this one
    [​IMG]

I think it is a capacitor no clue how to work out the value? Any help figuring out what I can replace it with.
    :D
    Defi

2. rob_croxford

rob_croxford

Aug 3, 2010
    looks like a capacitor to me. you could measure it with a battery and an oscilloscope

3. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Yeah, it's a cap.
    Can you give us the numbers/markings on it?
    It looks like its readable, but your photo is turned sideways, and is hard to read for us.

4. defi

defi

Mar 9, 2011
    Thanks for the quick response

Umm dont have access to an oscilloscope and I wouldn't know what to do with one if i did

5. defi

defi

Mar 9, 2011
    The photo looks easier to read than really lookin at the cap:confused: ill try an take a better pic?Any tips?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  6. defi

defi

Mar 9, 2011
    From the photo it looks like the top line says something unreadable then "+ - 10%"
    next line says "50v" but the bottom line I can't make out?

7. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    0.1 uF +- 10% they have just omitted the leading 0

Dave

8. defi

defi

Mar 9, 2011
  9. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Just as importantly, I guess, is why you think there's something wrong with it?

These are non-polarised. You generally place them in such an orientation as to make the markings most easily readable.

10. rob_croxford

rob_croxford

Aug 3, 2010
    I agree with steve - the slight cracking round the bottom is just slight damage to the protective case that incapsulates the capacitor however this shouldnt affect its opperation. What is the syptoms of the fault??

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  11. defi

defi

Mar 9, 2011
    Thanks for all the help

I think that it is blown because of scorching on the board around the component and its unusual shape!

Cool

Do you mean it shouldnt affect its operation? The turntable doesn't seem to be getting any power.

Shall I replace it with the one I linked to earlier then get back to you if it doesn't fix it?

Thanks again:D

12. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    thats the normal shape for that type of capacitor

that minor chipping around the capacitor leg wont affect its operation
    and it wont stop the turntable from getting power... you have problems elsewhere

Dave

13. defi

defi

Mar 9, 2011
    Thanks Dave any idea how to trace the problem I have a multimeter?

Peace

14. rob_croxford

rob_croxford

Aug 3, 2010
    Look for any capacitors that are bulging (electrolytic) or where the plastic wrapping is split. Check for scorch marks around Diodes. using your multimeter u could check the supply from the mains and trace until you find the problem however only do this if u are sure you know what you are doin as those voltages can be lethal.

15. defi

defi

Mar 9, 2011
    Thanks man i'll get on the case

16. defi

defi

Mar 9, 2011
    Ok so I put the cap back in place and found that power is getting to the board fine because I can hear sound through the needle when I rub my thumb on it here's a pic of the board

[​IMG]

can't see anything obviously wrong with the board so I pulled off the turntable and noticed what I think is a reed switch (top right in the photo below attached to the brown wire)

[​IMG]

I put the multimeter across it and it reads 0.006amps or 2.15v (when i put the batteries in and turn on the deck)hmmmmmm

Not sure what to make of this development. How should this kind of circuit work? Shouldn't the switch be either open or closed? i.e. flip between 1 or 0.006 amps.

The metal cage at the bottem of the picture holds a coil which I guess works together to turn the turntable. Any ideas Help much appreciated.

17. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    You've probably got at least one bad transistor. Do you know how to check back to back resistances of the transistors, to find the open one, using a DVM?
    I'd start with the transistors tied to the leg of the capacitor you replaced.

18. defi

defi

Mar 9, 2011
    Thanks for the tip i'll try an test the transistors. Whats a DVM?:confused:

19. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    DVM = Digital Voltmeter -- more generically, a multimeter.

...or a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine.

I'd go with the former :)

20. defi

defi

Mar 9, 2011
    I thought it was either that or Dancing Viper Mushrooms;)
    Thanks for helping me not look too dumb:eek:

Ask a Question