Connect with us

Anyone have experience with IR LEDs?

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by dbyrd26, Feb 5, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. dbyrd26

dbyrd26

Sep 16, 2013
    I'm wondering if theres a way to make them brighter (looking through a camera) or if I'm stuck with these dull purple lights.

2. GonzoEngineer

GonzoEngineer

Dec 2, 2011
    The problem is with the filtering in your camera. Older cameras and cell phones gave
    a nice bright image......the newer cameras just show a dim purple image.

Try finding an older cellphone, they all have different sensors.

3. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    It's probably more to do with adding IR filtering to achieve higher image quality.

Another option is to get IR LEDs that are only just below the visible red end of the spectrum. These often have a dull red glow if you look at them because of you eye's residual sensitivity. Not a good idea to stare into them though, they may be very bright!

4. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    The IREDs Steve refers to are typically around 880nm where many intended for remote controls and similar link devices are around 940nm.

5. dbyrd26

dbyrd26

Sep 16, 2013
    I'm basically looking to make a light used for "night vision" for a video camera.

6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    then it really is determined by the characteristics of the IR filter on the camera

with some of the older cameras, the IR filter plate could be peeled off the CCD/CMOS sensor. on others it couldn't.

really your first step should be to get a security type camera that's already designed to receive IR light

cheers
    Dave

7. dbyrd26

dbyrd26

Sep 16, 2013
    Good to know. I'll experiment with a few that I have to see what works. Thanks!

8. dbyrd26

dbyrd26

Sep 16, 2013
    Hey everyone, I used a different camera and wow! I had a total of 48 of these IR LEDs lit and it lit up a room pretty good! Thanks for the info.

Ask a Question