Connect with us

Anyone can explain three types of LED tube?

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by Fan Jia, Apr 2, 2018.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Fan Jia

Fan Jia

Mar 9, 2018
    What are the differences between Type A,Type B and Type A+B LED tube? Whether they can be replaced directly.I mean,can I replace Type A with Type B or Type A+B directly.

2. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    Type A is driven from the output of the existing ballast and consequently has significant compatibility issues as well as creating a dependency on a working ballast and the innefficiency of multiple conversions.

Type B works from mains voltage wired into the existing sockets and has the attendant safety hazard of high voltage.

Type C uses a switch mode current source mounted in the fixture and the light engine (tube) has no hazardous voltages.

I would only use type C; they're the safest and most efficient.

http://blog.retrofitcompanies.com/blog/3-types-of-linear-led-tubes

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  3. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Are you talking about replacement flurescent tubes?

Type A generally "just work" by replacing an old tube. There may still be some losses in the ballast which remains in circuit.

Type B have internal drivers and are simply powered from line voltage.

Type C have their own external driver.

The ones I've used come with a special starter and done require the removal of the existing ballast. I guess they are type A, but I don't know. I just follow the instructions...

4. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Steve,
    The ones we use here are similar to your last unit. Starter is replaced by a unit containing a 200 ma fuse. Internal driver in the end of the tube, balast remains as no longer required but pia to have to rewire to remove it as it has no effect.( not required)

Ask a Question