Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Anybody know where I can get a collection of electrical symbols clip art

Robert Hill

Mar 5, 2015
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows where I might find a set of downloadable clip art/images of all the usual circuit component symbols.

I've tried using some of the circuit designer software and haven't got very far with them so thought about just using a desktop publisher and some images of symbols but haven't found any so far. Anyone know of any on the web?

Thanks,
Bob

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Hi Bob
Is this to draw circuit diagrams with? If so what are you having trouble with?
Adam

Robert Hill

Mar 5, 2015
Yes, for drawing diagrammes with to share on the forum. I've tried universal circuit simulator and similar ones but they're a bit complicated for what I need, I need something simple and basic

Robert Hill

Mar 5, 2015
Thanks will give it a go. Also looking at tiny cad, is that worth giving a go as well?

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Never used it. But I would stick to one package for the moment. If you want to do PCBs later on then DIP TRACE is another good package.
Adam

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
ExperssPCB is a free schematic/PCB program. The schematic program is pretty intuitive and easy the make new symbols or modify existing ones. You can export the schematics to Bitmap or Metafile formats. Note, it's not a simulator.

http://www.expresspcb.com/

Ken

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
I second ExpressPCB as the easiest package I have seen to learn and use, though the schematics are not particularly pretty.

Bob

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
Bob,

I disagree. I think the schematics are beautiful! Well, for the price.

Ken

Robert Hill

Mar 5, 2015
I've just got the texas instruments one - quite scary having to fill in the info for us exports thing!

just playing with it now.

Is there a way to run a visual simulation of circuits in the TI programme? In the sense that if you've got LED's as part of the circuit they'll flash etc. Can't see an option for it at present.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Ahh I was mistaken. I have the student addition of Tina which does flash the LEDs. To see the output you can connect an Oscilloscope to the circuit using one of the meters to the circuit or use the transient analysis option. Tell me what you want to draw and I can help.
Adam

Robert Hill

Mar 5, 2015
This is what i've drawn so far. I've put a copy up on the circuit design section to ask for feedback as well.
QUIZ SHOW.JPG

I'll play with it a bit more and come back if i've got questions. Thanks for all your help so far!

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Robert you have opened a new post with the same circuit info. Just keep one otherwise it might confuse people. We will answer any questions related to this even questions about the drawing of the circuit. Choose one to carry on with. Any related info from the other can be merged by one of the moderators later.
Adam

Robert Hill

Mar 5, 2015
Ok thanks, didn't mean to be untidy. I'll not post anymore in this one as it's achieved my purpose of finding a good program to draw schematics with. I'll post in the other one

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
You cant put a transistor directly across a battery.
All of the transistors in that circuit are connected directly between the positive and 0V rail of the battery.

As Colin mentioned, this is a no-go. As soon as one of those transistors conducts, it will short out the battery.
Step back, and think about the function you want the the transistors to do. Add a current limiting resistor and you will be much better off ;)

Pull down resistor is connected between the transistor and the 0V line. You then take the measurement between the transistor and resistor.
When the transistor is 'off' it behaves like an open circuit and the measurement will be 0V. When the transistor turns 'on' it behaves like a short circuit which results in the full battery voltage being across the resistor. The measurement here will be 'high'.

Pull up resistor is connected between the transistor and the positive line. You then take the measurement between the transistor and resistor.
When the transistor is 'off' it behaves like an open circuit and the measurement will be 'high'. When the transistor turns 'on' it behaves like a short circuit which results in the full battery voltage being across the resistor. The measurement here will be 0V.

The difference is merely which side the resistor will be in relation to the transistor.
Other than that, if you are using a transistor to 'power' something that's a bit of a different story, but the resistor would essentially be replaced by what you want to power.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Guys stop posting on this thread. We have already covered this on another thread. Robert opened a very similar post with the same circuit. I noticed this and asked him just to post on the other thread to save confusion.
Cheers
Adam