Connect with us

Any tips on using these crimps?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Braeden Hamson, Mar 10, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Braeden Hamson

Braeden Hamson

Feb 18, 2016
    Hey guys,

I bought some of these crimps (see attached) which I'm putting into these housings.

http://www.digikey.com/product-deta...E2omT_FOUQGxMlLtnedSOYw4q1VU1ORkh4aAgpn8P8HAQ

(MF PN 22-02-3037)

These housings were recommended by Digikey to work with the crimps I bought and for the most part they do. My trouble is the bits of metal between the crimps. It seems they're designed to be separated at the circle between them. However that leaves a really big bit of metal on my crimp. Which obviously doesn't fit into my housing. So what do I do? I have a handy pair of D-sub crimpers which are a gift from the divines as far as I'm concerned. And I've tried to bend the tabs up with those but that just ruins the crimp. I can cut the tabs off with a pair of flush cuts, but I can tell that's gonna dull them quick and its really tedious.

Attached Files:

2. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    These crimp terminals are mounted on a reel strip intended to feed and position (that's what the holes are for between terminals attached to the reel strip) each terminal for automatic crimping and subsequent separation from the strip by a shear cutter... all at a speed faster than the eye can follow.

You will need a pair of flush-cutting diagonal pliers with carbide blades to separate the terminal from the strip for crimping by hand with the proper roll-crimp tool. It would be better to buy the crimp terminals loosely packaged instead of attached to a reel strip... that's probably too late now, but I bet you got them at a good price. You MUST use carbide cutters and a good set is expensive compared to steel cutters.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    Braeden Hamson likes this.
  3. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    And don't forget to use the correct crimping tool INTENDED for those terminals.

hevans1944 likes this.
  4. Braeden Hamson

Braeden Hamson

Feb 18, 2016
    Thank you sir!
    I figured I had the wrong tools, I just wanted to be sure there wasn't some super easy way. And carbide cutters aren't cheap... Makes me want to make my own using lathe cutter inserts. That'd be a project.

5. garublador

garublador

Oct 14, 2014
    Arouse1973 likes this.
  6. Braeden Hamson

Braeden Hamson

Feb 18, 2016
    I actually found a nice little trick by myself. The crimps I bought have cutters behind the axis. They'll trim the excess metal between the crimps really well. I think that's why it's there. I thought it was just for cutting wires.

Ask a Question