Maker Pro
Maker Pro

any one want to play name that capacitor?

byrdj74478

Dec 18, 2013
i dropped my NanoStation2 WiFi Antenna and the capacitor fell off and i when i open it up it fell out and i dident realize what it was ...The manufacture has been no help ..ive attached a photo..i dont know if this helps but one of the caps say 33 10v and is the black one to the right of the one that im inquireing about with the red circle around it .....any help would be great as i dont have the money to buy a new one at the moment and i use it for my internet and i work on linenanostation-2-board.jpg

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
that brown SMD cap could be any value, for the size of it, it could be anything from
0.001uF to 0.47uF
you could try a 0.01uF or a 0.1uF, its probably a decoupling cap and its value isn't too critical

Do you not have the one that was on your board ?
Do you have a capacitance meter ?

Dave

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
I can't tell from the picture but often when a capacitor of that type is forcibly dislodged, the end caps stay with the board so the capacitor is unusable.

I can't see any locations missing a component and I'm not sure you know the difference between a capacitor and an inductor since the black component you point to is an inductor.

Last edited:

OLIVE2222

Oct 2, 2011
Sharp picture of the board cap location and the cap itself can be useful.
For the value using the crystal at the bottom as scaling and because of is proximity with the (step- down) inductor (the circled black part) my guess goes for a filtering value like 10 --> 22 µF maybe.

Olivier

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Sharp picture of the board cap location and the cap itself can be useful.
For the value using the crystal at the bottom as scaling and because of is proximity with the (step- down) inductor (the circled black part) my guess goes for a filtering value like 10 --> 22 µF maybe.

Olivier

HUH ???? you not looking at the sharp pic he has provided ? ;)

he has obviously red circled a tan coloured ceramic cap

I still go with my earlier suggestion of something in the 0.001uF to 0.47uF range

cheers
Dave

OLIVE2222

Oct 2, 2011
Yes have seen it, can be sharper I must said :)
What I suggest are pics from the damaged board without the cap and the cap itself too see if we can reuse it. The right picture is deformed , and to me the left show a somewhat big ceramic cap around 5 X 7 mm according to the 25MHZ HC-49 package size. decoupling caps should have a size close to the 2 crystal caps (above the right crystal pad).
Olivier

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
decoupling caps should have a size close to the 2 crystal caps (above the right crystal pad).

Yes the right pic has been stretched vertically

LOL, you havent seen some of the SMD decoupling caps on the boards I work on
They are bigger than the one circled
they size, to some extent, still depends on their voltage rating and value

I was going to post a couple of examples but my eyes are not doing too well tonite :(

it sux, the older I get, the worse my eyes get and the smaller the components get !!

Dave

OLIVE2222

Oct 2, 2011
My guess about the filtering purpose of the cap is based on both is size and is location close to the inductor.

Yes we can have same size 1nF/1000V caps close to an ethernet port or close to an isolated DC/DC but here I suspect the cap to be part of a step-down converter, if not where the filtering cap can be located, the tantalum one close the the HF module look a bit far to me.

I find this super sharp picture on the web:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3060/2402485496_cd6d2dcbc8_o.jpg

The part designator shows VR préfix for the top right part, the step-down controller to me, with the catch diode between that IC and the inductor. the left VR part looks to be an LDO, I guess supplied by the step down output. By the way the mystery cap is not well soldered here too, they must have a soldering process to solve there !

I agree about the components size paradox, more over the trendy black solder mask usage avoid us to follow any PCB track! Looks to be a worldwide plot against the electronic community ! :)

Olivier