Connect with us

Any ideas please

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by w4yne, Jul 11, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. w4yne

w4yne

Jul 11, 2011
    I need to setup some sort of sensors around my car on my drive and something inside the house to alert me if someone is near my car, i have had big scratches along the car 4 times while on the drive.
    Dont have a clue what i could use so thought i would ask on here to see if anyone knows something cheap i could setup, i did think of wireless cam but that wont alert me unless i watch it all the time.
    I dont want to alert them i know that they are there because i want to catch them.
    Is there some sort of wireless or hard wired sensor they could send a sgnal to a dvice in the house that either makes a alarm or lights up. a alarm would be better.
    Any ideas?

Cheers

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Hi there
    Welcome to the forums

an infra red beam would be the best. i though of a PIR motion detector but that would prob have too many false triggers with animals etc within the detection area

An IR beam reflected around 3 mirrors would be a better way to go, with the beam say 1m above the ground would stop all but the largest animals triggering it.....

[​IMG]

how's that ? if suitable, then we can talk about the specific electronics needed :)

Cheers
    Dave

PS.... dont know if you are old enough to remember the IR beams across shop doorways to alert the staff when come one entered or exited the shop.... same thing larger scale

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  3. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    BEST think would be one of those infrared still camera you'll find in sportsman's catalogs.
    The camera is mounted where you need it. It's made for hunters to find game trails.
    The camera is pointed at car, and clicks pictures when sensor tripped.
    You wouldn,t have to monitor continuously, and you'd have pictures of the perpetrator,
    for the cops. You can get one that triggers a remote to alert you in the house if you
    need it.
    Check websites or sportsman catalogs for the cameras.
    Good luck with the perp.

4. w4yne

w4yne

Jul 11, 2011
    Hi Dave thanks for the welcome and thanks alot for helping me with this.

Your idea sounds great, and yes i am old enough to remember the "bing" on the doors of shops (40 this year ;/) .

That would be very kind of you if you tell me a list of parts i need as i dont have a clue :).

The PIR might be a good idea as i also get cats climb my wing to get on the bonnet when the engine is warm :( .

Either sounds good.

Thanks so much for helping me .
    Cheers
    Wayne

5. w4yne

w4yne

Jul 11, 2011
    Hi shrtrnd, i did look up the cams but i would be worried they see it and just steal it lol.
    Thanks for your input though, very good cam handy to know about, might be handy someday :)

6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    ok, as far as the lightbeam sys goes, since you remember them, I havent looked recently, but that may still be available for sale ?
    All you are going to do is extend its operating distance with a few mirrors, instead of just across a doorway :)
    At least all the electronics would be done for you. Your fun part would be getting the mirrors mounted and aligned.
    If you cant find a seller of those units ( preferable as it has the buzzer driver etc all in one relatively small package) I will start having a look around for some suitable circuitry.

What's your soldering skills etc like ? that will be a determining factor

Cheers
    Dave

Ask a Question