Connect with us

antique stuff

Discussion in 'Electronic Design' started by John, May 22, 2005.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Joerg

    Joerg Guest

    Hello Rich,
    But on the way to that spot a highway patrol officer could become a bit
    miffed if the plates are expired ;-)

    Regards, Joerg
  2. I'd have thunk, "Nevada." Or maybe, "Mexico", but then you'd lose all of
    them wunnerful "free" gubmint "benefits".
    Oh, I think I get it. It's more like a campsite, where you have to
    carry your own droppings out to the dumpster outside the park? You're
    probably not only not allowed to pee in the stream, but, it'd be
    bad "wettiquete" anyway? ;-P

  3. I _know_ there's a joke in there somewhere - I just _KNOW_ it! ;-D
    "There was a young man, name of Fred,
    Who spent every Thursday in bed;
    He lay with his feet
    Outside of the sheet,
    And the pillows on top of his head."
    -- Edward Gorey
  4. Luhan Monat

    Luhan Monat Guest

    Sure, but you can pic any state to get one from. As they say "shop and
    compare before you buy". Florida is a good state to declair as a
    residence. You don't even have to ever go there to be granted
    residency. No state income tax. No smog checks. Cheap licencing, and
    they routinely send your plates anywhere in the country.
  5. Luhan Monat

    Luhan Monat Guest

    Also, for some reason, you usually don't get tickets for expired plates
    except when in your state of residence - so don't go there.

    (6 years on the road in a 75 Barth motor home with no other address)
  6. Joerg

    Joerg Guest

    Hello Luhan,
    Yes, that is why a lot of big motor homes out here in CA carry Florida
    or Oregon license plates. However, if they question you after an
    extended stay or if it's long term parked in front of a house you better
    have a residence in the state where it's registered or they'll nail you
    with back taxes for the vehicle plus some penalty.

    Regards, Joerg
  7. Luhan Monat

    Luhan Monat Guest

    Incorrect. They have no authority to void a residency legally granted
    by another state. And Florida, for one, will not be inclined to help
    them. Florida does not require a physical residence in the state to
    grant residency. You can be a legal Florida resident if you have *any*
    of the following.

    1) A physical residence
    2) Voters registeration
    3) A Florida drivers licence
    4) A vehicle registerd in Florida
    5) File Income Tax returns with a Florida return address.

    Therefore, simply registering a vehicle in Florida makes you a resident,
    which makes it legal to register your vehicle there!

    Also, the illegal actions to which California is prone are unenforcable
    outside of the state.
  8. Don't they have big fines in California if you pull that one and
    you're actually resident?

    Best regards,
    Spehro Pefhany
  9. Luhan Monat

    Luhan Monat Guest

    What do you mean by 'actually resident'? I did not buy any real estate
    there, file a tax return there, register a vehicle there, have a drivers
    license or insurance from there, or have a job there.

    Parking does not constitute residency.

    This is confusing even to the hiway patrol when I talked to them once
    about unrelated matters. I live in a motorhome. No, I dont have a
    house or even rent anywhere at all. Here is my Florida driver's license
    for identification. On it it may Florida mail-forwarding service
    address. Florida is totally ok with that. In fact, they prefer a
    mailing address of a physical address for your drivers license.
  10. Joerg

    Joerg Guest

    Hello Luhan,
    Well, yes, but that's just the point. If they want to enforce something
    they think is ok (even if Florida thinks it isn't) they'll do that when
    you are on CA ground. Unless you stay outside CA. But then you'd miss
    some pretty stuff like Yosemite Park.

    Regards, Joerg
  11. Joerg

    Joerg Guest

    Hello Spehro,
    Yes. If you go to court over it you'd have to at least find some proof
    that the CA residence isn't your primary one. If they play hardball,
    look at your phone records and find lots of calls year round it's over I

    But even if you prove that it's not a primary residence it might not work.

    Regards, Joerg
  12. Luhan Monat

    Luhan Monat Guest

    Thats true, many states will 'double tax' you. The state you live in
    taxes your income, and the state of the company you work for also does.

    Its still 'innocent until proven guilty' for residency - you dont need
    to prove you are not a resident; they have to prove you are.
    Technically, for California, one day outside the state every six months
    voids your residency via motorhome. They have to *prove* that you were
    there each and every day for six months. Most people don't know this,
    but full-timer RV'ers routinely trade in such information.

    Try it some time, take your show on the road for a year or more - its
    quite an education.
  13. Luhan Monat

    Luhan Monat Guest

    Hi Joerg, checked out your website. See that you live in Califonia. I
    lived there (Santa Barbara) for 20 years. I have no plans on going
    back. Check out moving to my area (Phoenix/Mesa), before the realestate
    prices go any higher!
  14. Joerg

    Joerg Guest

    Hello Luhan,
    Yep, such are the tangible benefits of living in a free country like the US.
    I would be pretty content with a simple life. After all, we already
    barbeque most of our dinners and the kitchen remains idle a lot. It's
    not that easy though if you do analog stuff. The gear alone weighs tons,
    plus we have two full size dogs ;-)

    Regards, Joerg
  15. Joerg

    Joerg Guest

    Hello Luhan,
    Phoenix is too crowded for my taste. Too much smog even though Jim will
    always counter that it's only dust. The eastern end of Mesa, maybe. The
    occasional rattlers I wouldn't mind since we've got them here, too. Same
    with the heat. But when Jim mentioned what his house cost and the taxes
    he has to pay (even more than we do...) I think I'll look for another
    state. Arkansas appears to be more and more promising, at least from a
    cost point of view.

    CA ain't that bad, mostly because of Prop 13 which put a lid on
    spiraling tax increases. But if Arnold can't get stuff like workers comp
    under control, and fast, there might not be that much biz left in a few

    Regards, Joerg
  16. Jim Thompson

    Jim Thompson Guest

    Go spend a summer in Little Rock and then tell me about it. I grew up
    in WV, which is why I live in AZ. I absolutely despise humidity.

    ...Jim Thompson
  17. Luhan Monat

    Luhan Monat Guest


    If you ever need to find a good German restaurant in Santa Barbara, look
    for a sign in the window....

    "Se Habla Deutch"
  18. Jim Thompson

    Jim Thompson Guest

    There IS a good German restaurant in Santa Barbara! Mark/qrk, what
    was the name of the place you took me for lunch?

    ...Jim Thompson
  19. Joerg

    Joerg Guest

    Hello Jim,
    If it isn't chilly all the time I don't mind humidity. Mosquitoes are
    another story. A friend moved from here to De Queen, AR, and he really
    likes it. He had scoped out the area traveling before making the offer
    on a house there. To make a point he bought a brand new Camaro and then
    told us the pittance he pays in license fees (aka taxes) over there.
    That hurt.

    Regards, Joerg
  20. Joerg

    Joerg Guest

    Hello Luhan,

    One of the best German restaurants is in San Jose, "Teske's Germania". I
    went there with a few folks after an Embedsyscon and ordered
    Schweinehaxen. Fork and knife sticking out, the whole works. They looked
    at that in disgust but it was delicious. Just the right meal for a day
    when your cholesterol levels are dangerously low.

    Regards, Joerg
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day