Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Anti-Static...?

Hennity

Jun 12, 2012
Hi...I was reading that it is a good idea to wear anti-static gloves when working with electronic parts...is this correct ?

Also,when I searched for them online I found that some of them are made of nylon and polyester,surely the worst sort of material as in my experience it`s exactly this sort of material that produces static.

Does anyone know about this please ?

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
There are different approaches to dealing with static, you can dissipate it or isolate it... Without knowing the whole deal on the gloves they might very well have properties that do one or both... If they are woven they can have conductive fibers woven in, if they are rubber they again could have a proprietary blend that make them conductive or high resistance or whatever...

You will see this in packaging, there are full out 'metallic' antistatic bags that create a mini Faraday cage around components, but other times you will see 'pink' non conductive plastic bags that simply insulate the parts... They both work in different ways...

IMO if you are just handling stuff they might be a good idea, but it's best to just ground yourself with a strap and/or work on a static dispersant work surface...

If you are actively soldering and working, I believe the potential for injury due to melting the plastic (if use plastic gloves) outweighs their usefulness in most all cases... Fabric is another story but but at least for me gloves would drive me crazy in most applications, due to the lose of dexterity...

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I have never seen or heard of anti-static gloves

The company I work for is very anti static consious, and quality benchtop mats and wrist straps are all that are required.

Dave

Hennity

Jun 12, 2012
Thank you for the replies guys...I just beginning in the field of electronics so it`s something I have little knowledge of...I`m mostly tinkering with digital cameras and handling the components a fair bit so it`s not as if I`m doing a lot of actual electronic work...always better to ask advice though and thanks again for sharing it.