Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Anti Drowning Device?

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
Why is there nothing that can stop you drowning? Be that at see or your local swimming pool, so here's what I thought of am i missing anything?....

What's Needed, 1 Barometer.
1. G-Sensor (Or Accelerometer)
1 PIC and with 2 pin outputs and enough digital ins for the sensors.

Now, encapsulate this into a plastic ball with the buoyancy of that the thing slowly gently starts to rise when you let go of it so it gently drifts / floats upwards... now here's what the CPU does..

(I have no idea where to buy a plastic waterproof ball from lol)

CPU, at sea level (whatever bar) if you place a barometer under water, the pressure changes, now these changes can be measured by the IC chip, it gets the values of each of the sensors and does these every second...

At ground level, the Ball is lit with a dim RED LED to conserve energy with a 800ohm resistor, when the sensor detects that the pressure has changed and the person with this device is going under water, the ball lights up bright GREEN, the CPU measures how far down this person is and how long the person has been down for...

BallAtSuface=CheckDepth;

While BallAtSurface==False Do
}
BallAtSuface=CheckDepth;
If LengthOfTime>60 seconds
{
AlertBall; //Make the LED's Flash Green then Red and Green, as to signify trouble...
LastDepthPos=GetDepth; //1meter down etc
}

If LengthOfTime>80
{
NewDepthPos=GetDepth;
If NewDepthPos<LastDepthPos {
InflateCanistorCharge;
}
}
}

Basically, if the ball is under water for 60 seconds it from Green to a Sequention of Red/Green/Red/Green/Red flashing to alert the person to get to the surface, it then gives the user exactly 20 more seconds..

If the Depth of the person is LOWER (ie, not going to the surface for the air, eg, sinking,drowning) initiate the canister charge, the charge simply deflates a small can of oxygen which inflates the rubber device it's in to about 8 tiomes the size which is large enough to float a person up to the surface while still flashing Red and Green , maybe one with a loud siren noise to alert people to his location...

This could be used at either Sea or in the Local swimming pool, the device would be in a thick near see through rubber that can inflate leaving the circuit intact glued to the inflatable object somehow to allow continuation when inflated without the components freely rolling around inside the inflated area...

So it knows if you're drowning based on if you're going deeper, it could work out if you're still (ie, not swinging your arms around in desperation to live, eg, drowned, if no activity is seen) depending on the parameters set from bluetooth or some kind of nfc device, you'd be able to stop many deaths..

eg, you're in the pool, the power goes out, who's drowning it looks dark down there with the lights out, people can get disorientated, you could use the rubber ball/object as a beacon and follow where it floats

eg i'd have this device on my wrist and if i drown it will drag me to the surface for people to see the shiney red flashing thing with an annoying siren going off, or have positioned on your chest so it brings you to float on your back? (could cause further choking?!).... built in CPR is going to far, maybe a small Defibrillator from a shock pen circuit with 2 sharp electrodes you jab into the heart and the device becomes a pace maker until the ambulance comes along? lol

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
How about adding small emergency breathing apparatus. So that victim will not panic. :)

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
Sure why not, infact the gas can be oxygen which expands the balloon and some kind of rubber seal you can break to access an opening to breathe the contents of the balloon while you float up? :p

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Drain the pool.