Connect with us

Antenna id?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by jedisme, Dec 19, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. jedisme

jedisme

Dec 19, 2011
    I have an issue with this collar I have it will not turn on/off, I installed a new battery last week worked great put it in the box and left it. I went to go hunting and sure enough didn't work. Upon further inspection and fiddling with I noticed the back of what looks to me is an antenna/receiver? was broken I assume this is the culprit!! Any help is appreciated! I attached a couple pictures of the front, back and the pieces that boke off.

Attached Files:

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Looks like a piezo transducer to me, but your photos are so fuzzy it's hard to be absolutely sure.

But I can tell that your device is powered by a 4 cell rechargeable battery pack -- because *that* is what is in focus.

3. jedisme

jedisme

Dec 19, 2011
    I will post *Hopefully* a clearer picture when I ger home, this cell phonce camera is far from good. I googled peizo transducer and sure enough it looks just like it.

4. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    What is the device? If it still makes recognisable noises, the piezo transducer is probably still OK.

5. jedisme

jedisme

Dec 19, 2011
    The device is a tri-tronics classic 70 receiver, it makes no audible noices the device was never intended to.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  6. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    Does it perhaps make noises audible to animals (or is it intended to)?

This part being broken is unlikely to have any effect on turning the device on/off.

Did the dog go for a swim perchance?

7. jedisme

jedisme

Dec 19, 2011
    Water shouldn't affect this it is suppose to be water proof. No, not intended to make any audiles. To turn the receiver off/on it has to receive a signal from the transmitter.

8. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    OK, what is this device then? Googling for the name suggests it's a dog trainer. So it either makes a loud noise (perhaps inaudible to you) or gives the dog a shock.

I think the former, although my colleague here suggests you might like to strap it on yourself to find out for sure if it's the other...

In any case, how do you know it doesn't turn on/off, and how do you know it's still watertight? (since you've opened it...)

9. jedisme

jedisme

Dec 19, 2011
    It is a trainer gives a shock, I did try it on myself to ensure it was working. I had the collar working last week, put it in the box went to use it and could not get it to turn on. The receiver never made it to water, after I was unable to get it to turn on I left it home. When I press the transmitter on/off button the collar light will not turn on when I try to stimulate it will not stimulate (shock).

10. davelectronic

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
    I saw these on the UK news, some models delivered such a powerful shock it left marks on the animal, i am not an animal activist, but what a saw on the BBC news was disturbing, but just an opinion. :)

11. jedisme

jedisme

Dec 19, 2011
    If you crank it up to a stimulate #5 that is a powerful shock and is not needed. I never use anything above a 2. You use the collar for a correction not a punishment, train without using the collar use the collar to reinforce. Having well mannered, undercontrol dog is a must for hunting and everday life.

12. davelectronic

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
    Its your prerogative, i wandered why Steve was asking away for a device description and getting nowhere , personally people have been training hunting dogs for century's with little or no problems, i use to shoot myself and take a friends dog with us, i understand the dogs role.

But if you see it necessary. :)

13. jedisme

jedisme

Dec 19, 2011
    I wouldn't want to train without one. Running dogs through hunt test on a masters level is a daunting task 2-300 yard blinds tend to challenge many dogs as well breaking at the line, this is where the reinforcement and training really show.

I am not defending my choice to use a collar rather to show you why I do.
    an under trained/uncrolled dog is a dangerous dog.

14. davelectronic

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
    Well all the best with your fix, if you see it as necessary. :)

15. jedisme

jedisme

Dec 19, 2011
    I hope this is a simple fix, this is a backup unit. I lost the transmitter to my main unit so I was going to use this one until my new one arrived.

16. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    Does this device also have a mode where it detects the dog's bark and gives them a shock? If so, the transducer could be being used as a microphone.

In any case, it's unlikely to be related to it not operating.

I train my dogs using kindness and rewards. It seems to work. Small children can come up to our large dog and take her food while she is eating and she just looks sad. She will drop on command whilst 50 metres away and stay until called. She is potentially a very dangerous dog.

And, in any case, those collars are banned in Australia.

17. jedisme

jedisme

Dec 19, 2011
    No, not a bark collar. Does not have that option. Curious as to why this thing even has a transducer now..
    when I said "dangerous" I was not refering to the dog attacking someone or something, I was refering to the dog may chase a cat (or whatever) run out into traffic, potentially get hit or someone get hurt.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
Ask a Question