Connect with us

Another woofer re-wire

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by whiterabbit, Aug 10, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Sep 14, 2013
    A while back I was gifted an old 2.1 computer speaker setup. It is an HK595 [<< link]. Everything works alright, and what I'd like to do is cut the satellite speakers out of the picture and keep the sub to use on its own - even if the sound quality isn't amazing. Right now my small home studio setup is just a pair of monitors, so any sort of boost to the low end will be helpful when I'm trying to mix.

My first thought was to modify the existing circuit and just reconnect the controls (that live in the right satellite) into the sub box. After taking it apart and reading as much of the sparse documentation as I was able to scrounge, I think it might be more straightforward to strip down the sub to just the driver and enclosure and build an amp and crossover.

I'm thinking of something like this as an outline for this modification:

1/8th" stereo jack >>> sum stereo to mono >>> lowpass around 150Hz >>> amp >>> 6" driver

The specs I found say that the sub driver consumes '40 watts at 10% THD', and some other postings online for replacements indicated that it is a 4 ohm, 120 watt driver. "W65A04HRX30A-00" and "IST 19C9" are stamped on the back, which seems to match up with the info I was able to find on the rest of the system.

Does this seem like a reasonable endeavor?

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions very much appreciated, thank you!

2. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    Is it not an active sub? If you just disconect the two other speakers won't it work? Or is it you need it louder and are planning on just using the speaker.
    Cheers
    Adam

3. whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Sep 14, 2013
    It is active.

I'm not sure which of two ways I should interpret the question..

If you're asking if I can just unplug the satellite desktop speakers from the woofer box and have the sub work- no. The controls for the whole unit (bass/treble levels, overall volume, etc.) are in one of the desktop speakers. Without that attached, the remainder of the unit thinks that the volume is all the way down and everything should be switched to inactive.

If you're asking if I can detach the satellite speaker drivers [as in, the L/R desktop towers (and therefore control circuit) are still plugged in but disconnect the wires feeding the drivers]- then yep I can certainly do that. I had previously considered doing that, but wasn't sure if removing that load would be harmful to the remaining bits. If it wouldn't be harmful then I can very easily just do that and call it a day and tuck the controls somewhere out of the way. I very often seem to complicate things while trying to make them more simple :p

It would be pretty awesome if that was a possibility, even if only by a little bit. What I'd like to end up with is a single pot for gain control, and nothing else. If we can make this thing go up to 11, count me in.

4. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    It shouldn't hurt the driver ICs with out any load but if your worried you could just cut the cone out of the two satellite speakers so your just left with just the coils. That is if you don't want them anymore. I don't know about modifying the circuitry to increase the sound output, it might be possible to modify the circuitry but I would leave it for know as you probably can't get a circuit diagram for the unit and then it means tracing all the tracks to find out what it all does.
    Adam

Ask a Question