Connect with us

Android

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Pavle, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Pavle

Pavle

Sep 21, 2015
    How to force android to provide 5 volts to usb port???

2. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    This will most certainly vary based on the model#... some devices do not support USB OTG, and cannot function as a USB host and will NOT provide regulated 5V out of the micro-USB charging port.

Additionally... Android is one of those things where every manufacturer likes to add their own 'twist' to the software.
    Android should automatically supply 5V when a USB client is connected to the device with a USB-OTG adaptor.
    There is a high probability that there must be a USB device present for the USB port to provide any useful amount of current on the 5V line.

... May I ask what you are trying to do? Using a cell phone to power something probably won't work nearly as well as buying a cheap USB battery backup... they are a fraction of the cost, easily put out 5V for extended periods of time, and are easily replaced if you damage something ;)

3. Pavle

Pavle

Sep 21, 2015
    I want to connect usb devices to android.

4. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    Then you should purchase a USB-OTG adaptor and check to make sure your device supports it.

5. Pavle

Pavle

Sep 21, 2015
    My android supports OTG but it cannot provide voltage to usb port and that's why I want to force android to provide 5 volts to usb port.

6. cjdelphi

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
    A usb powered hub

Or, splice the 5v usb cable and feed in your own 5v and cut the 5v out of your phone...

7. cjdelphi

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
    Cut the 5v out of the cable not phone...

8. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    Yeah... that's about the only thing I can think of as well... rely on an external supply.
    I don't think you can 'force' your device to output 5V... It should do so automatically to any attached device (Like a USB mass storage device)
    That said... phones are not meant to output 5V... USB-OTG is a recent advancement and you can expect your battery life to suffer horribly

Ask a Question