Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Android Windows Remote Control

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
I've been busy developing with Android, got a few ideas I'm kicking around but my first app is a remote control for windows!

UPDATE - version .2 now with a little eye candy :p

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.craigs.remote

just clicking on the link from android should launch google play..

anyway I created it for some basic windows control...

left/up/down/right etc along with shutdown and autodetect of ip (but you'll have to tick the broadcast option on the server app)

I made it so it should happily run on old android models and old windows versions..

until I get a web domain sorted out for people to download the 500k server (tiny really) along with installation instructions. . once installed a directory will be created on the internal memory in a folder called craigs just copy it to windows and run it (place a shortcut in startup) tick "broadcast" if you want auto detection on the android app..

suggestions welcome :)

thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-03-08-21-27-34.png
    Screenshot_2015-03-08-21-27-34.png
    208.4 KB · Views: 178
  • 2015-03-29 18.27.39.png
    2015-03-29 18.27.39.png
    1,011.5 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I've been busy developing with Android, got a few ideas I'm kicking around but my first app is a remote control for windows!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.craigs.remote

just clicking on the link from android should launch google play..

anyway I created it for some basic windows control...

left/up/down/right etc along with shutdown and autodetect of ip (but you'll have to tick the broadcast option on the server app)

I made it so it should happily run on old android models and old windows versions..

until I get a web domain sorted out for people to download the 500k server (tiny really) along with installation instructions. . once installed a directory will be created on the internal memory in a folder called craigs just copy it to windows and run it (place a shortcut in startup) tick "broadcast" if you want auto detection on the android app..

suggestions welcome :)

thanks!
Apps like this tend to have major security holes... what kind of steps have you taken to make sure your app is the only app that can connect to your server?

Additionally, the User interface desperately needs work...
Using a VLC client would work much better for many people. (Or TeamViewer)

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
Anyone with a universal remote control can control your tv while in your home, that's the point so whoever has it can start stop media player otherwise you'd have to pass your phone to another person in the room...

security is easy, only people connected on your home wifi can only do so if they have your wifi password, if they do have it, indeed they can use it....

Version 1 and my inexperience with android developing I needed functionality over eye candy, quick and fast 2meg including the Server (relay.exe) was fantastic with extra UI libraries how much then 3/4 meg? extra?

but that's what upgrades are for! I soon expect to fix the UI uglyness if any interest shows for it....

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
and by security holes? the relay.exe app is perfectly safe, it only allows a set list of commands, eg they can't take access of your computer for 2 reasons.

1. the exe does not take request strings or read data in which it can be exploited at most possibly crash it via flooding it with data.

2. people outside your network can't take control or even access that server unless you forward that port in your modem/router.

Security is no more an issue than someone buying a universal remote control and hacking your modem/router password just to be able to pause your video you're watching....

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
cjdelphi. The security concerns were completely valid. It's nice to know that your server will only operate on pre-defined commands.
Perhaps before you put more effort into this project, you should look at the remote control app for XBMC / Kodi , as well as Unified Remote, and Gmote.

There is a perfectly valid use for this app. The question is, "What does it do, that I would choose your app over one of the others?"

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
Small size factor really and the ease of use, the server can set to broadcast (restart to get it broadcasting) then your phone detects the UDP packet with the IP of the machine it's on..

click on autodetect and your ip will be automatically placed in the edit box, simply hit save to permanently save it..

once you run it, it's just there good to go, as a consumer of apps I tend to try several not just one, I wrote it to suit m6 needs for MPC and use of video playback...

for example if the mouse touches bottom of the screen an annoying playback bar can be seen, Centre mouse button solved... run it hit shutdown exit, it's built for speed.

you use what you want, I'm merely here to help anyone who wants to try it, not to convince them to try it, that really should be up to you... I personally wanted an app that would work on 90% of android devices and any version of windows from XP or lower, no .NET libs expensive java libraries it just runs fast.

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
unified remote is 4meg for the app (not bad, I'll have to look into the ui) the server however is 18meg zipped..

with this app, the server is 500k 1.6meg for the apk without exe.

2meg for the entire thing which runs without any extra downloads and will run on any OS ... and I don't think any of them come with IP detection...

I'm not trying to rival a media Centre but who know later down on, server side anything's possible been a win developer for 15 years or so and an android one for 15 weeks or so lol

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Well, as long as you know what else is out there ;)
I am curious to see how this project turns out.
Personally, I would enjoy being able to send media controls directly to the PC without having to run my media center app. (To control winamp or WMP)
Prev, Play/Pause, Next, Stop.
You already have VolUp and VolDown

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
there are more out there still,I've already looked, I created it for a specific need and that was to allow everyone with an android device to quickly and easily pause/play video...

I'm not sure what you're expecting, this is a stable release, eye candy is not what I'm aiming for right now....

The server is what allows you to control the pc, without it you simply can't ..

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
there are more out there still,I've already looked, I created it for a specific need and that was to allow everyone with an android device to quickly and easily pause/play video...

I'm not sure what you're expecting, this is a stable release, eye candy is not what I'm aiming for right now....

The server is what allows you to control the pc, without it you simply can't ..
Nowhere have I bashed the server, or client.
And yes, while I stated the UI is in desperate need of help you have stated that this is a work in progress. (That's what updates are for anyway.)
My points have been based on security, and the need to use your app over someone else's.
Additionally, I thought including media keys would be helpful. Again not meant to be an insult.

With that said, 'suggestions welcome'. I'll be blunt and say that in it's current state you should ditch the ad and advertise it on GooglePlay as 'Beta' until you put some work into the 'eye-candy'. (Hint here is button layout... try to mimic a universal remote layout... ie, direction pad with space or enter as the middle button.)
Once the Android UI looks like a remote, and not a 5th grade information tech demo program you can strip the 'beta' name off your app and put that ad back in.
It sounds as though you have a good understanding of security and I thank you for clearing it up.
And yes, any other remote app other than the RDP client requires a server to be downloaded and installed, that is not an issue.

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
the UI does not warrant a beta status, unstable or experimental code would, stability... the fact it does not require bloat to make it look good keeps it nimble and stable...

anyway, I don't spend much time looking at it as I'm busy watching something not staring at the phone ... so running it as quick as possible is the main priority to say turn the volume down or risk waking up my daughter when it's too loud...

I'm not removing the ad for something free I've spent hours, days, weeks writing esp when it came to threading all the socket code (udp/tcp ip) a lot of debugging and crashing which is all stable now which is why it's not beta adding eye candy would make it beta.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Ok, changing a layout does not mean 'bloat'.

I've attached a sample.

I will try to be blunt once more.
An ugly UI is not appealing, it does not make people 'want' to try unless they have exhausted the other options. The ad makes this problem worse. So I figured you could avoid shooting yourself in the foot and show off the 'functions' of you app without the ugly ad. Once you have a more presentable app, stick the ad back in to make your revenue. (Hell, you could offer a premium update to those who test and help with the 'beta' version to get rid of the ad al together.)
You don't need ultra high res animated graffix on the buttons and intense window transitions, but you still need to appeal to the public.
Try a more appealing layout and see what kind of feedback you end up getting.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 135
  • Official_XBMC_Remote_for_Android.png
    Official_XBMC_Remote_for_Android.png
    77 KB · Views: 177

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
yet you've not used it, right? the downloads says 1 still, so why am I listenening to you whine about how you think everyone else feels?

why am I not hearing what you think of how it works? because you think it's ugly and not worth trying... makes me wonder about how buggy and unstable the apps you do use providing there's makeup on it...

I am busy working on several other android projects, I'm interested in upgrading it adding eye candy but if nobody wants to try it because it looks ugly then great I really don't care... It suits my needs at this moment in time and if anyone else needs a simple small remote then they can too.

but don't expect me to jump through hoops or change the design to please you when you can't even be bothered to try it ...

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
yet you've not used it, right? the downloads says 1 still, so why am I listenening to you whine about how you think everyone else feels?

why am I not hearing what you think of how it works? because you think it's ugly and not worth trying... makes me wonder about how buggy and unstable the apps you do use providing there's makeup on it...

I am busy working on several other android projects, I'm interested in upgrading it adding eye candy but if nobody wants to try it because it looks ugly then great I really don't care... It suits my needs at this moment in time and if anyone else needs a simple small remote then they can too.

but don't expect me to jump through hoops or change the design to please you when you can't even be bothered to try it ...
You are right, I have not tried it.
It may work great, but I have not installed it for the same reason that I would almost always buy the laptop with the querty keyboard instead of the one with a dvorak keyboard. Even if both function the same.
My suggestions are not to slap on lipstick, it's to simply re-arrange a couple buttons to be more intuitive. (See the crappy Cad drawing...)
Yes this is your app and you can build it any way you want, and yes you can leave your ad in there. (It was merely a suggestion to help get your app out there, as ads are a MAJOR turn off for people.)
You welcomed suggestion, so I thought I would offer my two cents, even if they were presented pretty roughly.

Ultimately, this is on the play store so the public will be using it abusing it and commenting on it.
If I installed it, I would come back with the same suggestions: (I am assuming the keys work. I have a good enough imagination to pretend without installing)
-fix the UI, and
-perhaps add mutlimedia keys like the scan codes provided at the bottom here : http://www.computer-engineering.org/ps2keyboard/scancodes2.html

Take 5, and re-read some of the posts. I've been rough and I know that but the intention is to help.
I hope you can deal with much ruder criticism when some (slow witted) person on the Play Store gives you a 1 and claims it wont work because they can't find the exe file.

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
update includes 1 click to restart the socket and save the ip address all from clicking on autodetect..

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
update includes 1 click to restart the socket and save the ip address all from clicking on autodetect..
Even without the new added icons for the buttons, I like the layout much better.
I've installed it to my android device and will try it with Windows Media Player Classic the next time I am watching a movie with my kid.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
relay.exe fails to run on my machine.
Are there certain dependencies I may be missing?

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
hmm, there are no dependencies..

i've had it hang when it's no longer connected to the network (cable unplugged, no connection) if it is hanging but running, it's because it can't iterate through the known ip addresses because it's not connected to a lan/wifi/router..

so does it run and freeze or not run at all?

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
hmm, there are no dependencies..

i've had it hang when it's no longer connected to the network (cable unplugged, no connection) if it is hanging but running, it's because it can't iterate through the known ip addresses because it's not connected to a lan/wifi/router..

so does it run and freeze or not run at all?
It starts up, Windows prompted me for a firewall exception, then it failed to respond and hung indefinitely.
I force closed it with task manager, then re-launched it only to have it wait a couple seconds then hang again.
I am using Win7 64-bit, and this particular machine has 2 IP addresses. One dynamically allocated from my home's router, and the other allocated on a 'virtual interface' for a VPN.

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
it should still be fine, but i'm curious what happens with machines with 2 ip's ..

all i can think of without rewiting the server is to uncheck the broadcast option, but that wont help if it's hanging when getting the IP!

alright, i'll rewrite the server and give it a couple of problems and see if i can get to the root cause and let you know why it does what it does....

frustrating!