Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Android automobile gauges

Chevyman2016

Apr 23, 2016
I'm building a custom truck and after seeing how cool all the download dashes are for an android tablets that work via obd2 to blue tooth adapter that sends info to the tablet would it be possible to make such a dash display work with non fuel injected vehicles ex. Use raspberry pi or arduino to gather info from various analog sensors most are variable resistors or pulses and convert those to a signal in blue tooth that the already available apps can turn into the gauge readouts. Or possibly build custom app that will also allow programmable outputs to control maybe electric engine cooling fans or nitrous solenoids via rpm activation ect..

Amar Dhore

Dec 2, 2015
I believe in Automotive, most of the electronics are controlled via CAN bus (Google ECU Can bus) and I guess that is what your obd2 is doing. Its a one of the node on the CAN bus which reads all the information (sensor, rpm etc etc ) from all the nodes on the network. If you can buy a device CAN to Bluetooth and connect it on your CAN network you can get your cool dash.

Chevyman2016

Apr 23, 2016
My truck is old school carbureated there is no ecm or can bus. I was looking at installing the appropriate sensors and collecting data with arduino or raspberry pi then convert to a signal like obd2 and use an android dash that's already available to download. However I'm not a programming guru I'm more of the nuts and bolts/fabrication and modification sort of guy.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
I can see it being relatively straightforward to sense engine rpm, roadwheel rpm, MAF, ignition timing and engine/ambient temperature, but without fuel injection how will you sense fuel consumption?

Chevyman2016

Apr 23, 2016
For the time being I only want it to to replace factory gauges with touch panel gauges. Fuel consumption could be calculated by using a wideband o2 sensor engine rpm and engine displacement