Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Analogue vs Digital transistors

evilsanta

Mar 9, 2014
Hi everyone new to the forum and needing a bit of assistance with a question. Im currently taking my HNC in engineering and electronics is one of my modules. The tutor is a nice guy but you ask him a question and he captures you for 45 mins and bombards you with maths and goes off topic and starts on other things, so asking him for help is a last resort. We built some circuits the other day and there was no explanation of what they actually do.

Probably a real simple question but Im not sure as to what im actually looking for. If anyone can point me in the direction of a book or a link that I can read and understand that would be great.

Question is explain the operation of two different types of transistor, one in an analogue and one in a digital circuit.

Any help greatly appreciated.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I presume you're talking abut BJT & MOSFET.

Can you name the regions in which these transistors operate (it has something to do with biasing)?

Which of these regions is useful for digital operation? Which is useful for analogue operation?

evilsanta

Mar 9, 2014
I presume you're talking abut BJT & MOSFET.

Can you name the regions in which these transistors operate (it has something to do with biasing)?

Which of these regions is useful for digital operation? Which is useful for analogue operation?

Transistors: types eg NPN, PNP or field-effect transistor (FET); analogue circuit (single-stage amplifier);
digital circuit eg comparator, transistor as a switch (automatic night light); operation eg analogue (voltage
gain, phase inversion), digital (set-point of operation); function of components in circuits

Thats the set of transistors in the syllabus im allowed to work from. As I say I havent had much information from the tutor on this subject thus far. The beginning of the year was on boolean algebra so this is all new to me.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
My recommendation for a book would be "The Art of Electronics".

You say a transistor can operate as a switch. Would that be better for digital or analogue circuits?

How about as an amplifier? Better for digital or analogue?

Once you've come to some initial position on that, compare the operating point of transistors used for both purposes.

evilsanta

Mar 9, 2014
I get that a switch is used in a digital circuit and the amplifier as a analogue circuit. I will download a copy of the book you suggest now and it should help greatly.

Thanks again