Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Analog Joystick to Variable Speed/Reverse DC Motor

dukegreen

Mar 21, 2014
Hi, all. I would like to power a small low speed DC stall motor (12V max) using an analog joystick. It would be easy, I think, if the joystick were max or min at center, then variable in either direction. However, the joystick I have is 10K ohms with 5K at center rest. It lowers resistance when shifted down and the reverse when shifted up.

Does anyone have a circuit that would do this? I realize I could simply use a DPDT to switch polarity, but that would not supply variable speed. I want to keep it simple, not using Arduino, etc.

I'm not very electronically literate. I can use passive components ok, but have little experience w/ chips, transistors and the like.

Thank you
Duke

dukegreen

Mar 21, 2014
I see there are several views, but no replies. Is such a control scheme possible? Is there another forum that might have input?

Thanks

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Hi Duke
One way would be to put the 12V across the potentiometer so that you get 6V in the central position. Add an amplifier to give sufficient motor current.

Make a voltage divider to give a 6V reference with sufficient motor currnet.

Connect the motor between the two sources. Twiddle the pot up and down.
Note that the motor will get a maximum of 6V. If you make the reference do the opposite of the pot output, then more motor voltage would be available.

I am not into model control but I would have thought that this circuit would be common.

Duke37

dukegreen

Mar 21, 2014
Great! That did not occur to me, but if I'm the smartest one here, we are in trouble. It likely is a common circuit, perhaps the way I worded it in a web search did not give the correct answer.

Thank you very much. I will leave some feedback on the outcome.

Duke