Maker Pro
Maker Pro

analog cpu and multiplexing with discrete components

Nikola Farnsworth

Apr 24, 2015
I'd like to know how to do multiplexing with discrete components. All I can find is info on using chips, or multiplexing LEDs (kind of cheating because they are diodes). I tried google and searching patents but came up dry.

Related, if you are able to answer that you might also know this . . . I saw an analog processor core that could be made from about 30 discrete components (not including ram and stuff). It was completely different from the ttl stuff we use today but I guess it got squashed because everyone would just make their own chips maybe. Anyway I saw it on the web back around 1995 to 2001 but can't find it now. Its capabilities would have been around the same as maybe an early 16 bit computer. But I don't recall if it was ever sold to anyone. I think not. If I recall it used capacitors in an analog fashion for memory as well.

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
lets start again and this time be more specific about what you are wanting to achieve/do :)

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Related, if you are able to answer that you might also know this . . . I saw an analog processor core that could be made from about 30 discrete components (not including ram and stuff). It was completely different from the ttl stuff we use today but I guess it got squashed because everyone would just make their own chips maybe. Anyway I saw it on the web back around 1995 to 2001 but can't find it now. Its capabilities would have been around the same as maybe an early 16 bit computer. But I don't recall if it was ever sold to anyone. I think not. If I recall it used capacitors in an analog fashion for memory as well.
Yes, but could it run a web browser?

Most likely, what you saw was a very simple analog computer that could solve 1 particular equation, possibly with the speed of an early 16-bit computer.

Bob