Maker Pro
Maker Pro

An interesting(to me anyways) project

28ACoupe

Dec 4, 2013
Hello everyone,

I have a 1928 Model A Coupe that I would like to put a set of very low profile turn signals on.

Yes, there are turn signal kits out there, but they are bulky and frankly detract from the looks of the car.

So, here is my idea:

1) use 6-Light LED strips on each corner. Reds in back, yellows in front.
2) use a micro controller to control them rather than a flasher system.
3) I would like to have the LED's flash sequentially(think 1967-1969 Mercury Cougar).
4) Use a micro switch on the dash to control the system.
5) Needs to run on 6v.

The problem is this: I have no idea where to start with this project. It seems relatively simple in concept, but I don't have the chops to plan it out.

Anyone care to assist on this?

Thank you in advance,
28ACoupe

Last edited:

dh390

Jul 30, 2013
Hi,
I think that is cool. As a classic car owner (1968 Torino GT convertible & 1968 Fairlane 500 4 door) I totaly understand your thinking & agree. I am not that great at this type of circuit & could probably find something in one of my books but I am sure someone here could pull it from memory with no problems. I also sympathise with the 6v delema as everything seems geared twards 12v for car accessories.

But I do have some things you can look into.

I know Velleman & Cebek have kits. In my old MCM catalog there is a Cebek "Sequential Relay Module" listed. It is pricy & runs on 12v but I think something like this is what you are talking about. See pic.

100_8142.jpg

What type & how many LED's do you plan to use for each assembly? Were you going to use an arrow pattern to show direction?

Have you checked E-Bay for sequential LED flashers?

There are also voltage boost circuits available on E-Bay for low cost & low current if you can't get 6v IC chip circuit operation/function.

There is this I just found on E-Bay. The circuit may be able to be modified to work on 6v or use a 6v to 12v boost module I mentioned.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/33-SMD-Sequ...main_0&var=&hash=item1c38cba986#ht_6245wt_806

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=sequential+led&_sop=15

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...6v+to+12v+boost&_nkw=6v+to+12v+boost&_sacat=0

Last edited:

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
A CMOS 4093 (my favorite) can make two oscillators and two invertors. The 4093 can drive FETs (need sensitive gate to run on 6V) which can switch several amps.
Some thought would be needed to put in simple switching unless two separate systems are used, one for left and the other for right.

dh390

Jul 30, 2013
If done right he can also incorporate 4 way Emergency / Hazzard Flashers that light all leds front & rear at once with out the sequential turn function like on the Mustang. Maybe some use of diodes could aid in this.

28ACoupe

Dec 4, 2013
I was thinking of using two circuits (right/left). But, maybe I can control the whole thing with an IC. I just don't know yet.

As for the LEDs, there are strips of LED's that I can get at the local electronics shop. I don't know if they are all either on or off at once or if you can control each individually.

Ideally, I would like something like this:

OOOOOO ================= OOOOOO

on the front and back bumpers or body of the car. But, as I said, I want it very low profile as the car will be fully restored and I have no wish to detract from it in any way.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
A CMOS 4017 Johnson counter will count with a single output from 0 to 9. It can be made to reset part way through the sequence.

Each LED will need its own transistor driver but they may be in the strip you get.

We will need the specification of the LEDs that you intend to use.

28ACoupe

Dec 4, 2013
After looking into this a bit more, it seems that the strips are an all or nothing option. In other words, all the lights go at once rather than having individual control.

So, I am thinking of using a piece of lexan about 1.5cm wide and drilling holes in it to hold 5mm LEDs.

Then, I can control when the LEDs fire more easily.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
I would suggest that you get a few leds of different types and look to see if they suit.

Look at brightness and viewing angle. Do not overrun the led, they will need a series resistance which depends on the particular led and the drive voltage.

Viewing angles can be as low as 10 degrees. Clusters can go to 180 degrees but need a heat sink.

28ACoupe

Dec 4, 2013
I was kind of thinking that the lexan might work to disperse the light a bit to broaden the viewing width. Kind of like the way car audio guys use LEDs in their sub boxes.