Connect with us

An automated speaker???

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Roiyuda, Jan 3, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Roiyuda

Roiyuda

Jan 3, 2014
    Hello everybody!
    I'm trying to build a drawer that makes a sound when opened. Being new to this world of electronics, I have no clue how to do this...

This is a regular kitchen drawer. I want the whole mechanism to sit inside it. I need it to include a small speaker that will be automatically activated when the drawer is opened, and play a specific sound (a 5 seconds tune).
    I thought I can use a simple cheap speaker such as http://dx.com/p/portable-mini-usb-music-speaker-w-tf-card-slot-mp3-black-silver-245498 , and this way I can put the tune in a CF memory card.
    However, I have no idea how to power up permanently (DC) this sort of speaker, nor how to design it so it'll be played once you open the drawer.

I'll appreciate any idea and response :)

2. Thedarkb

Thedarkb

Sep 7, 2013
    I did this before on my bedroom door, I got a clothes peg and covered either side with tin foil, then I stuck a wire on both pieces of tin foil and put the power to the alarm through one wire and and connected the alarm on the other wire, I then made a piece of wood and stuck it on the door so it would open the clothes peg and break the circuit when the door was closed, When the door was opened the clothes peg would make contact between the two pieces of tin foil and power the alarm, For the project power use a mobile phone charger. (5 volts)

3. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Nice do-it-yourself job.
    If you don't feel up to building such a mechanism, use a limit switch (also known as end switch) to interrupt power when the drawer is closed. It will conversely close the power circuit when the drawer is opened.

Ask a Question