Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Amplifier project

Wayne Phillips

Jan 7, 2018
Many many years..this amplifier project was under way.. as I needed a power amp.

I wanted 300w per channel with plenty of saftey circuits..from inrush protection to dc fail safe etc etc.. even added bridge mode!

So rooting round the pile of odds and ends was a 1000va transformer that would do the job just right..next xlr sockets and speakon sockets all in reach. Then more digging to get a robust case and heatsink.

I designed the circuit on note pad with a few tweeks here and there as things did not look right.

So after pcb lay out and dip followed by fitting all the parts. The dc protection was an idea of my.

So who else has built there own amp..

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1498402588887.jpg
    FB_IMG_1498402588887.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 227

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
I have never built one with significant power (like typically < 1W.) Get the urge to do so every now and then, and then I look at Ebay. sigh...

Bob

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
In the 60's I copied a circuit and made my own stereo amp (valve) Elvis never sounded so good. Nowadays, Ebay , just like Bob, too easy and finished product way cheaper than just the cost of the chips.

Chemelec

Jul 12, 2016
Many of them, But the largest I built was 100 Watts per channel.
Universal Tiger Amp, from Popular Electronics, Many Years Ago.
Shakes my Living Room Pretty Good.

Last edited:

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
So do I. While in high school in the 60's I inherited a complete collection of PE, with some intermittent RE and EW sprinkled in. Last year I found a magazine archive site with *everything*, including complete mag collections from the 30'3 and 40's. Love that old history stuff. Downloaded about 30 GB. Now my old friends keep me happy on long plane rides. You can work backwards from here:

http://americanradiohistory.com/Popular-Electronics-Guide.htm

ak

Wayne Phillips

Jan 7, 2018
Yes on line is all to easy to buy kits and sticking it altogther..but that is far to easy.

Building it from start to finished amplifier is a different matter..you have to work it all out and hope your math is right..then stand back and power it up!

My own amplifier can do 300w and 600w in bridge mode stable.

Have fun out there when building your monster amps..

I was asked to build a 800w mono block mosfet amp once but the cost of the fet's put them off!

Wayne Phillips

Jan 7, 2018
Me, too, both professionally and personal. That's quite a beast. Schematic?

ak

Thanks..the main amp board is all on one board..and the protection circuit can be seen at the top of the photo with the relay in view.

Has for the schematic...mmm well, wink...

It has straight forwards tail balanced input pair and current mirror vas stage with emitter follower outpur stage with short circuit that steals the drive voltage should it suffer a s/c.

The protection is something I worked on for about 3 weeks till it done the job! (Bit here and there.

Most amps around seem to roast to death instead of total shut down and I did not want this one to fall in to that bracket!..

Well from time to time it is still in use for local music party's..and it's 20yrs old!

Wayne Phillips

Jan 7, 2018
PE and the Tiger series of amps completely ruled the 70's. Glory Days.

ak
If you look about you may get a circuit for high powered amps..

I'd for get them so called ebay amp kits that claim x y z watts on very under ratted supply lines.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
As far as I can tell your last two posts in this thread are the one on Jan 30 and this one today.

If you have a look at the list of your posts, you may find something. You have posted in a similar thread, did you confuse the two of them?

Wayne Phillips

Jan 7, 2018
These day's amplifiers have moved in to switch mode power supplys and there for large transformers are being faded out.