Connect with us

Amplifier circuit for Arb generator

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Razak, Feb 4, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Razak

Razak

Feb 4, 2014
    I am having to do some electrical testing of a set of devices, these involves set test patterns and routines. I have a standard Arb waveform generator however its output is a maximum of 5v, for the purposes of the testing i will need a maximum of 30Vdc and round about 1A of output to actuate a couple of electronic valves.

I have looked into commercial solutions but they are extremely expensive, and building my own circuit didnt go so well either. It seems like it should be a relatively simple circuit, i was hoping someone her could help me out and give me some guidance on what would full fill the requirements.

Any help would be appricated

Thanks!

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Welcome to the forum.

What frequency range is involved? If it is audio (20Hz...20kHz), a standard audio amplifier with at least 30W rating could be used.
    You may have to add some protection at the output of the amplifier to protect it from e.g. voltage spikes that occur when switching the load.

3. OLIVE2222

OLIVE2222

Oct 2, 2011
  4. Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
    Unfortunately that one is for +-7.5V (or +15V) only.

5. OLIVE2222

OLIVE2222

Oct 2, 2011
    Oups Indeed .
    However others are listed on the same page, the OPA548 should fill the OP needs.

Olivier

6. Razak

Razak

Feb 4, 2014
    Thanks for the reply's , it isn't for audio and the required range is very small, DC to 30Khz. The Op Amp suggested looked to fit the bill, is there anything id need to do to ensure proper functionality?

I appoligise for the basic questions, it seems my GCSE level electronics was so long ago and so basic im left rather stuck on what seemed like a simple idea

7. Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
    Starting on page 8 of the datasheet there is application information for the OPA548 recommended by Olive.

8. Razak

Razak

Feb 4, 2014
    I have quickly mocked up the circuit listed in figure 1, a basic non-inverting amplifier, however Vout is retuning the same voltage is the generator source into Vin. Any ideaS?

9. Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
    What values for R1 and R2 do you use?
    To generate 30V from 5V input you need a gain of 6.
    Gain is G=1+R2/R1 so R2=5*R1 is required

Note that this is not a rail-to-rail amplifier.
    The minimum output voltage is V(-)+3.7V (worst case)
    The maximum output voltage is V(+)-4.1V (worst case)

In order to generate an output between 0V and 30V, you need a dual supply (pos. and neg.) with at least
    V(-) <= -3.7V
    V(+) >= 34.1V

10. OLIVE2222

OLIVE2222

Oct 2, 2011
    When OK with the mockup you can maybe go for this implementation :

http://www.pmillett.com/pwrop.htm

The PCB for the project is available on Ebay, this will make thinks very neat.
    Also chose R CL according to your 1Amp limit

Olivier

11. Razak

Razak

Feb 4, 2014
    I had the resistors selected with that gain in mind. However I wasnt aware of the requirement for a dual supply though having a quick look i can now understand why its required to get to 0V.

Thanks for the help so far, its been invaluable. things seem to be starting to work

Ask a Question