Connect with us

Amplified Difference op-amp configuration questions

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by harris_p, Feb 18, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. harris_p

harris_p

Feb 18, 2013
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electronic/opampvar6.html#c2

For the Amplified Difference Op-amp configuration on this page, there are two resistor values (R1 and R3) that must have exactly the same value.

Aside from using 4 extremely precise resistors or using two standard resistors and two pots, how can I ensure these values are the same?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  2. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    How accurate do you need to be?
    Resistors are fairly cheap so you could buy a handful of 1% resistors and sort them.
    If they all come from the same batch they will be similar and have a similar temperature coefficient.
    You will need some high class measurement to do this.

3. harris_p

harris_p

Feb 18, 2013
    Well, let me expand on this...

I'm trying to control some galvos. These units require a balanced bipolar differential signal (max of +10V differential, min of -10v differential, center = 0v differential). The output on the ILDA_Y+ line will swing from -5V to +5V and the ILDA_Y- line will be the exact inverse. The Y line on the left side that runs to a 16 bit dac that has a min output of 0v and a max output of 4.096v.

This circuit has a few problems:
    1. The op-amp voltage offset from zero issue. Due to this propperty of op-amps, I get a little bit of a "dead zone" in the central dac value range.
    I'm using op-amps with a voltage offset of 500uV.. but ideally would like this to be zero. I'm not sure what else I can do here aside buying more expensive op amps?

2. The dual pot solution works, but is tedious to tune. I was hoping there was a way to do this with only one pot.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
Ask a Question