Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Amping low-current high-voltage (>300 V) RF (DC-100 MHz) with op-amps?

MBrantley

Jan 21, 2015
Hello everyone,

I am currently using some massive ENI 3100L amplifiers to generate the requisite +/- 300 volts RF (DC-100 MHz). I feel that these are overkill, as almost no current is necessary for our work (the voltage is applied on a small plate).

I was thinking about it recently and wondered about using a high-voltage op amp like the Apex PA97A (+/- 450V, 10 mA @ insane dB gain) and driving it with an EMCO F10CT DC power supply that can generate +/- 500V DC from a 12V supply would be possible. I have a couple EMCO DC-DC boosters and apex HV op-amps I located on a old instrument board in the lab I could maybe try it on it if sounds reasonable.

Does this idea sound reasonable?
Will the DC-DC provide (a) enough current and (b) be stable enough?

Any input/discussion is appreciated, I am not an engineer so I appreciate anything I may learn in the process.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I was thinking about it recently and wondered about using a high-voltage op amp like the Apex PA97A (+/- 450V, 10 mA @ insane dB gain) and driving it with an EMCO F10CT DC power supply that can generate +/- 500V DC from a 12V supply would be possible. I have a couple EMCO DC-DC boosters and apex HV op-amps I located on a old instrument board in the lab I could maybe try it on it if sounds reasonable.

Does this idea sound reasonable?
Will the DC-DC provide (a) enough current and (b) be stable enough?

ummm ... RF is AC .... you want an AC output, not DC
what is your oscillator ?

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Dave,

I think he is talking about the DC to DC converter for the power supply.

Bob

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Dave,

I think he is talking about the DC to DC converter for the power supply.

Bob

yeah, not sure, Bob, the whole post is confusing and unclear

D