Connect with us

Amping low-current high-voltage (>300 V) RF (DC-100 MHz) with op-amps?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by MBrantley, Feb 3, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. MBrantley

MBrantley

Jan 21, 2015
    Hello everyone,

I am currently using some massive ENI 3100L amplifiers to generate the requisite +/- 300 volts RF (DC-100 MHz). I feel that these are overkill, as almost no current is necessary for our work (the voltage is applied on a small plate).

I was thinking about it recently and wondered about using a high-voltage op amp like the Apex PA97A (+/- 450V, 10 mA @ insane dB gain) and driving it with an EMCO F10CT DC power supply that can generate +/- 500V DC from a 12V supply would be possible. I have a couple EMCO DC-DC boosters and apex HV op-amps I located on a old instrument board in the lab I could maybe try it on it if sounds reasonable.

Does this idea sound reasonable?
    Will the DC-DC provide (a) enough current and (b) be stable enough?

Any input/discussion is appreciated, I am not an engineer so I appreciate anything I may learn in the process.

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    ummm ... RF is AC .... you want an AC output, not DC
    what is your oscillator ?

3. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Dave,

I think he is talking about the DC to DC converter for the power supply.

Bob

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009

yeah, not sure, Bob, the whole post is confusing and unclear

D

Ask a Question