Connect with us

amperage multiplier

Discussion in 'Misc Electronics' started by Camilo Andres Gil Cardona, Nov 19, 2003.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Hi everybody! i need to know how to multiply current, but true
    multiplying, not amplification with transistors or something like
    that. What methods there are for that?! (i want something like the
    current amplification of a transformator when relationship of wires is
    established for current multiplication, real multiplication)
  2. If you use a 1 ohm sense resistor, measured voltage across the resistor
    equals current. Or, if you need isolation, use a current transformer.

    Then, you use a voltage multiplier chip, like an AD633 to get the result as
    a voltage.

    You can change this back to a current if you want by using a simple opamp
    circuit as follows:

    | |
    | .-.
    | | |
    | | | Your load
    | '-'
    | |
    | |
    |\| ||-+
    +---|-\ ||<- N channel MOSFET
    From MPY | | >---||-+
    ----------|+/ |
    | |/| |
    | | |
    | | |
    | .-.
    | | |
    | | | 1 ohm
    | '-'
    | |
    created by Andy´s ASCII-Circuit v1.24.140803 Beta

    Use a rail to rail opamp.

    Bob Monsen
  3. Bob F.

    Bob F. Guest

    Was this AC or DC? Why can't you use transistors. Transformers (not
    "transformators") transform an AC signal from one amplitude to another
    amplitude. For example 120vac is transformed into 12vac in your video tape
    recorder with a transformer. Current multiplication is really current
    amplification, really. If you want more current, you need to design (or
    purchase) a larger capacity power supply. If you want a serious answer to
    your question, please provide more information about what you are trying to
  4. Here's a weird circuit I ran across that was designed for
    use with HV AC supplies like Tesla coils. It looks like a
    sorta inverse of the familiar voltage multipler circuits
    that use diodes and caps.

    | | | |
    L L L L
    | | | |
    ACin o->|--||--->|--||---->|---||--->|---||---->|--o ACin
    | | | |
    L L L L

    The "_V_"s and "->|-"s represent diodes (select for
    appropriate V & I characteristics), the "-||-"s are
    capacitors, and the Ls are fat iron-cored inductors.

    (You hafta kinda squish the diagram vertically to see
    that the Ls connect between the diodes and caps.)

    I have not built this, so let us know how (if) it works, OK?

    Mark L. Fergerson
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day