Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Ambient Temperature Sensor (Thermistor)

Frank Cee

Jun 21, 2017
I'm pretty much an noob, but I was wondering if it's feasible to add a low resistance variable resistor to a simple thermistor circuit to adjust (calibrate) the existing sensor that has no calibration? What would be the resistor value I should look for? This would operate in the approximate temperature range -15C to 50C. Current wiring is simple two-wire Signal/ground circuit. Would I wire the variable resister in-line?

Thank You,
Frank

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I'm pretty much an noob, but I was wondering if it's feasible to add a low resistance variable resistor to a simple thermistor circuit to adjust (calibrate) the existing sensor that has no calibration? What would be the resistor value I should look for? This would operate in the approximate temperature range -15C to 50C. Current wiring is simple two-wire Signal/ground circuit. Would I wire the variable resister in-line?

Thank You,
Frank

it would help if you show us your circuit

Frank Cee

Jun 21, 2017
Sorry, I would if I knew it. It's a typical automobile ambient sensor hookup. I thought I could just maybe connect a pot or something in line with the two wires leading to the sensor to raise or lower the value 5-10 degrees.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Sorry, I would if I knew it. It's a typical automobile ambient sensor hookup. I thought I could just maybe connect a pot or something in line with the two wires leading to the sensor to raise or lower the value 5-10 degrees.

well without knowing what the sensor is, or the circuit it's connected to
it's really difficult/impossible to give reasonable answers

well if it is already in a car, then I would have assumed there would already be some way of setting it when it was built in the factory

Robert_fay

Jun 15, 2017
The only way you would be able to do this would be to test the reading at certain temps and if the readings are linear you may be able to figure out what value to add to adjust.