Connect with us

Amana RadarRange: Ate It's Own Stirring Device?

Discussion in 'Electronic Repair' started by (PeteCresswell), Aug 17, 2007.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Ancient and honorable Amana RadarRange.

    Built like a tank. http://tinyurl.com/3yjuzf

    Was heating some coffee and it emitted several flashes, made a
    "zut" sound, and then the smell of burning plastic.

    Pulled off the internal plastic cover to reveal a wheel that
    seems to serve some sort of stirring function on the microwaves.

    Found one paddle fused: http://tinyurl.com/2t66ud


    Can anybody speculate on what's going on?

    My kneejerk is that the tube that emits the microwaves is on the
    way out... but I don't know enough to explain why that one paddle
    got fused.
     
  2. Meat Plow

    Meat Plow Guest

    That's really odd. Maybe something collected there over the years where
    the metal met plastic that absorbed microwaves rather than reflecting them
    then finally was enough to start arcing? Might have started out very small
    and once the plastic burned enough it made more contaminants that caused
    more arcing and so forth.
     
  3. Per Meat Plow:
    A vicious cycle... I like it.

    But it begs a question that popped up as soon as I saw the
    paddle: are some metals ok tb within a microwave oven?

    I'm guessing the metal paddles are alu.
     
  4. Straw Man

    Straw Man Guest

    That's my guess.
    Yeh I've seen stirring devices before. Some metal (don't suppose what
    kind matters) can be tolerated as long as there is enough material in the
    oven to absorb most of the energy. Not sure because I haven't torn one
    apart but I've always assumed there was a bit of foil inside the cooking
    side of a microwave popcorn bag to reflect the heat towards the popcorn.
     
  5. hr(bob)

    hr(bob) Guest

    Not metal, necessarily, but a partially conductive material that gets
    hot when energized by the microwaves. Sort of like carbonized paper.

    H. R. Hofmann
     
  6. James Sweet

    James Sweet Guest


    Where you run into trouble is when two pieces of metal are too close
    together, especially if they have sharp corners. A potential develops
    between them and it arcs. Isolated pieces of metal are generally ok, so long
    as they're not too big.
     
  7. BH

    BH Guest

    Pull the cover off the front panel and see if the blower motor is OK.
    The stir fan is powered by the air from the blower.
     
  8. Chris Jones

    Chris Jones Guest

    I would say that the magnetron is just fine, since it evidently is still
    producing microwaves.

    You could leave the stirrer out and keep using the oven, but the food would
    get heated unevenly. Alternatively, if you can clean or cut off all the
    black carbon-looking burnt parts of the plastic on the stirrer, then you
    should be able to put it back in without problems. The black carbonised
    areas would get hot and lead to further burning if you don't remove them.

    I can't think of a good reason why this problem would have occurred in the
    first place, unless you had too little quantity of coffee in the cup, or
    dirt was building up on the stirrer.

    I think you have little to lose by continuing to use the oven, provided the
    door fits well and it is not leaking microwaves.

    Chris
     
  9. Hi!
    I'm not sure you can even wear these out, for the most part. :) Well, those
    and Litton ovens.
    My guess is that some gunk built up on it and finally resulted in its
    getting "microwaved". You might be able to clean it up and use what's left
    without further incident. Left alone for long enough, this might prove fatal
    to the magnetron, but I think you've caught it in time and could still fix
    it.

    There have been some other comments on metal in microwave ovens, and how
    certain arrangements or types can cause problems. I have a Sanyo microwave
    oven from the 1980s that came with a large metal (wire bars) shelf to allow
    the use of two plates in the oven at once. It works well and has never shown
    any sign of arcing.

    William
     
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day

-