Connect with us

AM modulator with MC1496 project problem

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by tzitzikas, May 9, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. tzitzikas

tzitzikas

May 9, 2010
    Hello, i have done this project. It is an experimental oscillator - modulator for mw frequencies. The schematics are here:
    oscillator:
    http://tzitzikas.webs.com/oscillator-1.JPG
    modulator:
    http://tzitzikas.webs.com/modulator-1.jpg

The problem is that the designer told me to use an 1kohm variable series resistance between oscillator and modulator (after

c9=22n capacitor of oscillator) to adjust the carrier level. I saw that the 1kohm variable series resistance is not enought

because with 1kohm series resistance the audio was't very good. I think that the carrier level was high. So i change this

resistance with another 4.7kohm. Now i am using about 2kohm of this series resistance. The modulation is very good But i

think that the audio signal in the radio is not at the center of the frequency but a little above.
    (The operation frequency is 1000khz but i listen the audio with quality and strong voice at 1003khz.)
    which is the problem? how i can fix it, to listen the audio very well at center frequency and not at sideband?

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Have you confirmed that your carrier is actually 1MHz? On the other hand, are you sure your receiver is accurate?

Those would be the first things I'd look at.

edit: You're using a VCO. It's amazing you're within 0.3% of the frequency you're after without some form of feedback (PLL?). I would be less than surprised if the frequency doesn't wander around with temperature, humidity, and possibly even phase of the moon.

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  3. 55pilot

55pilot

Feb 23, 2010
    Considering the problems I pointed out with the other circuit you posted from this source, I suspect the problem is a poor design. I would look at things like not taking component tolerances and other real life issues into account.

To answer your question any further, I would need to read up on the chips in question since I am not familiar with them. Like I suggested in your other thread, I would go back to the website you got the circuit from and ask a few questions there.

---55p

4. tzitzikas

tzitzikas

May 9, 2010
    55pilot :the circuit is from a Greek website.
    (*steve*): i controll the vco , by using a pll with SAA1057 and pic16f628 microcontroller.
    Do you have any idea why the modulation is not at the center frequency? Maybe improper armour?

5. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Armour? Shielding? I doubt it. That's more likely to introduce noise than a systematic frequency error.

Have you independently measured the carrier frequency?

6. tzitzikas

tzitzikas

May 9, 2010
    yes i have measured the carrier frequency. It is ok. i work the vco with pll (SAA1057 and pic16f628 microcontroller)
    i was meaning good sield, sorry.

7. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    yes because you appear to have the MC1496 wired as a DSB (double sideband) suppressed carrier modulator. So therefore you are not going to see a signal on the main carrier freq as that freq is suppressed. Rather you are going to see a signal on the 2 sideband freqs.

Dave
    VK2TDN

8. tzitzikas

tzitzikas

May 9, 2010
    do you know what modifications i must do at this circuit http://tzitzikas.webs.com/modulator-1.jpg to work as am modulator? the designer claims that this schematic is for am modulation.

9. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
Ask a Question