Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Aluminum Extrusion

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Has anyone ever seen aluminum extrusions like this? If you have please post a link.
upload_2016-12-6_12-4-26.png
Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-6_12-1-28.png
    upload_2016-12-6_12-1-28.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 80

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
The extrusion shown appears to be fabricated from square tube and plate.
If not readily available as shown, is it possible to fabricate it from the two?
M.

OBW0549

Jul 5, 2016
I Googled "flanged square extruded aluminum tubing" and came up wit all kinds of stuff, including this link to Coltwell Industries, which seems to make something like what you're looking for.

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
Hey Chris, do you have any aluminum wholesaler's in your area? Think of places that sell to gutter, fascia and soffit tradesmen and you should be able to source that.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I had an aluminium screen door frame built from this exact same profile.
(aprox. 2mm wall thickness.)
Made to fit inside an existing exterior door steel frame as used in concrete block walls.

Last edited:

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
The extrusion shown appears to be fabricated from square tube and plate.
If not readily available as shown, is it possible to fabricate it from the two?
M.
Since I have a fair stash of aluminum flats and square tubing that was my original plan. But then I've been so spoiled by China's Ebay cheap prices I thought why go through the work if I can get it in a single extrusion. Problem is I didn't see any on Ebay and the stuff that is available are U.S. suppliers with shipping costs that are absurd. If I was equipped with aluminum welding outfit I'd be welding it. Since I don't that leaves screws or rivet joining.

One of these days I'm going to break down and by a cheap Horror Freight wire welder. ;)
I Googled "flanged square extruded aluminum tubing" and came up wit all kinds of stuff, including this link to Coltwell Industries, which seems to make something like what you're looking for.
That's exactly what I'm looking for but I suspect that link is a wholesaler that doesn't deal with short cutoffs. I need only 16 inches.
Hey Chris, do you have any aluminum wholesaler's in your area? Think of places that sell to gutter, fascia and soffit tradesmen and you should be able to source that.
It appears that Bluejets below agrees.
I had an aluminium screen door frame built from this exact same profile.
(aprox. 2mm wall thickness.)
Made to fit inside an existing exterior door steel frame as used in concrete block walls.
Heck, I live in the land of screen rooms. In fact all my posts and computer time is done from my screen room. When Wilma blew through here the small screen room I had in the front of the house was damaged. I dismantled it and stored the stock in the back hard. It's now buried under years of leaves but I'll look for the door frame stock.

Thanks everyone,
Chris

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
In the end I found This on Ebay. It is perfect but the shipping makes me ill and it's much more material than I need. The same supplier also listed This Extrusion available in shorter cutoffs. The shipping still sucks but I ordered it anyway. I'll have to cut off the extra flange but I gain a 9.5" length of 1/8" flat stock to throw into my scrap bin.

BTW, I'm making my own version of a a Reese Hitch for three of my for bikes.

Thanks for the help mates.

Chris