Connect with us

Aluminium anodising power supply

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by ceefna, Sep 23, 2009.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. ceefna

ceefna

Sep 23, 2009
    Hi, my first post and wish for some expert advice as my circuit knowledge is limited to say the least. I have been messing with hobby aluminium anodising for a while now and wish to progress from using a battery charger I have no control over to a power supply that I can pre set a current then I can work out how long to anodise the part for. Please have a look at the circuit I am going to use. I need an ouput of up to 15 amps so I want to know if it is possible to hook up 3 of these in parallel to get the req current, but the biggest problem is can I control all 3 with just one pot for current control and one pot for voltage control. I have already got the LM338's and LM117's so if anybody has a better circuit Idea using these regulators all info will be greatly appreciated. Just a quick note please try to be as basic as you can!!! as I said I can build from plan but thats about it. So to round up I need a 0-15A/ 0-30V DC. Thanks for your time.

Attached Files:

2. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Yes, you can do it by simply triplicating the first LM338 & its 0.24 ohm resistor, and keeping just one R2 (feeding all 3 ADJ), LM117, & R3.
    For the second LM338 you can triplicate it by adding a 0.1 ohm resistor in series with each output, before parallelling them. The 3 extra resistors will ensure they share equal currents. You keep just one R1 & R2, but you might want to increase R1 somewhat - to 220 ohms maybe.
    Triplicate the capacitors as well to ensure stability.
    I guess you know to use a substantial capacitor on the input of this circuit, after the rectifier, and a substantial heatsink for all 6 regulators.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
Ask a Question