Connect with us

Alternatives to Hall Effect Sensor?

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by geratheg, May 6, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. geratheg


    Jul 12, 2014
    I have a motor that uses a speed controller knob. I opened the box where the knob is and looked at the wiring and it appeared very fragile. The wires had broken. The engineering was not good. I'm not sure what controlled the speed, but the knob was magnetic and had a transistor looking thing. I think it uses a hall effect sensor?
    There is a revolving magnet, to which the sensor was attached and turning the knob variably adjusted the motor's speed.

    I need to replace the sensor because the pins completely broke off. I need this in 3 days and could order replacements, but I'm not sure if they will arrive on time. Are there alternatives to hall effect sensors? Does it matter which hall effect sensor is used as a replacement?

    I looked at it, and it was kind of difficult to read but showed: 41905d on the component that I'm holding.
    I'm using the motor from

    I have this local electronics shop: , it has many sensors and I don't know which one to use.

    Also, can a potentiometer be used in place of a hall effect sensor? Wire the ends of the potentiometer to power and gnd, and use the middle as the variable voltage pin. Will that work?

    What do you suggest I do?


    Attached Files:

  2. Gryd3


    Jun 25, 2014
    You most certainly cannot replace the hall sensor with a potentiometer.
    They are commonly used to detect rotation by providing a number of pulses per minute (or second depending on the application).
    The control board will compensate to keep the number of pulses per minute constant in order for the speed control to work.

    Order a couple hall effects and make sure it picks up the magnet properly. (For this I can't help with a model # though)
  3. geratheg


    Jul 12, 2014
    Thank you for responding. There are so many different kinds of Hall effect sensors and I'm not sure which one to try. There's unipolar switch, bipolar latch, linear, etc.

    Do you have any suggestions?

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day