Connect with us

Alternative to IRF3205

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by fetmosfet, Dec 7, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. fetmosfet

fetmosfet

Dec 7, 2014
    HI all,

I am using an IRF3205 mosfet to drive my 12V LED strip according to 5V control signal from my Arduino.
    I would like to know if there is an y alternative to the mentioned mosfet. I don't wanna use a relay as it is mechanical and I want fast switching.
    Also, I want to control many such led strips individually using a MAX7219. Again I would want a mosfet for each LED strip which I feel is cumbersome. Is there an IC that use many 5V inputs and give out so many 12V outputs?
    I like electronics, but not a professional in it. Please help
    :)

2. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    Hi there and welcome to Electronics Point :)

The IRF3205 has a low RDS(on), and therefore, low power dissipation when ON, but it is not specified for a gate control voltage of 5V. The typical characteristics graph in the data sheet shows that it will typically have a reasonably low RDS(on) at VGS = 5V but this is not guaranteed. I recommend the ON Semiconductor NTD4906N (http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/NTD4906N-35G/NTD4906N-35GOS-ND/2194521) as a replacement. It does have a guaranteed low RDS(on) at VDS = 5V and is about three times cheaper.

The MAX7219 is a multiplexed LED driver. How do you intend to drive multiple LED strips from it, using a separate MOSFET for each strip? Please show us a schematic diagram.

Common ICs that have "many 5V inputs" and "many 12V outputs" are the ULN2003 (seven channels) and the ULN2803 (eight channels). These are not able to switch very high currents though. It really depends what you want to do.

If you explain your project in more detail we may be able to suggest better ways of doing it, and more suitable components to use.

3. fetmosfet

fetmosfet

Dec 7, 2014
    Hey Kris,

Thanks for your reply.
    I am using MAX7219 for driving 64 LEDs (as it can be used). However the only difference being that, 64 LEDs will be actually 64 strips of 3 LEDs in series. Thus, I require 9 volts atleast to drive each one. This makes me want to use a relay for which I initially used IRF3205, successfully.
    For my Project, I will integrate MAX7219 to my Arduino. Then, each o/p pin of my MAX7219 will be connected to IRF3205 gate. Its source will be connected to the -ve of LED strip, +ve of led strip connected to +9 (or +12)V and drain connected to ground.
    As this will require MOSFET for each strip, with high heat dissipation, I am searching for an alternative with many i/p (5v) and correcponding (min +9V) o/p.
    Also, an alternate MAX72XX series can be good which can work at 12V. MAX7219/22 works at max 6V

4. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    I don't understand. The MAX7219's outputs are multiplexed. It doesn't have 64 outputs.
    You have source and drain backwards. How are you going to drive 64 MOSFETs from the MAX7219?
    Why do you think the MOSFETs will have high heat dissipation?

How much current does each LED strip draw?

Ask a Question