Connect with us

Alternative fet driver

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by richardb, Jan 2, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. richardb

richardb

Dec 21, 2013
    I've been using a FAN73832MX half bridge fet driver for a few things but it has some limitations when driving anyware near 100% duty cycle does anyone know of a similar alternative that's better? I only need it to work at upto 48v.

I'm running near 200KHz which is probably why its so bad at high duty cycles. Otherwise it's quite a good chip when working with a pic pwm output

any ideas?

Rich

2. jpanhalt

jpanhalt

Nov 12, 2013
    Isn't 100% duty cycle a problem for all bootstrap drives? Moreover, as you surmise, the high frequency probably adds to the problem.

Just found a driver that kicks in a charge pump to allow 100% duty cycle. I didn't read the whole datasheet, but I suspect similar devices are becoming increasing available to try to get that last percent of power:

http://www.allegromicro.com/en/Prod...ace-ICs/Brushless-DC-Motor-Drivers/A3946.aspx

John

3. richardb

richardb

Dec 21, 2013
    yes if they are purely bootstrap.

I should have added that I have used hip4081 drivers which are excellent but a bit large and pricy.

i'll have to see if I can find some more info on that part.although at 16 or so pins its already looking less atractive

4. jpanhalt

jpanhalt

Nov 12, 2013
    I would certainly give TI/Fairchild another search. That Allegro part is just the first one that popped up when I searched on charge-pump driver.

John

5. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    International rectifier do several devices.
    Thanks Adam-

Ask a Question