Connect with us

Altenatives to soldering

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by electronboy, Sep 24, 2011.

1. daddles

daddles

Jun 10, 2011
    Sorry -- thousands of miles away...

2. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    When you get your breadboard, you're going to find you want to start getting parts to
    experiment with. Radio Shack is kind of pricey for parts. Start looking around your
    neighborhood for electronic component supply stores. You're going to want to know
    where they're at pretty soon.

3. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Solderless breadboards are great for prototyping/testing/learning.
    I got my first soldering iron for xmas when I was 10 btw.. And that was an unwieldy 70W beast. A little later I got a 25W instead. Still had no holder though.
    Did I burn myself? Sure, with an iron lying on the floor it's easy for a kid working on a project to forget himself and put his hand on it, but so what?

4. TBennettcc

TBennettcc

Dec 4, 2010
    ...do those even exist anymore? Shame I wasn't born in the 50's, I would have loved to witness all of that technology and innovation coming to pass... learning about vacuum tubes, experimenting with crystal radios... the list goes on and on...

5. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Not as many as there used to be. I remember when there were 6 different companies in my (rather small) city that you could walk in to and buy discrete components from.

Now there are really only 2, and one is branching out more and more into consumer goods whilst the other tries to get the education and commercial market (such that it is).

However there are plenty of on-line sellers, and freight can be quite reasonable (warning: it can also be exorbitant).

However the experience of walking into a store and finding someone who actually understands what they're selling and who can offer advice is something that is all but lost.

6. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    If the part is common, I get them from local TV repair shop supply stores, or computer repair supply stores. There are five of them in my city. If I can't get parts
    locally, I order them from catalogs.
    *steve*'s right though. Only the old guys in the stores actually have any concept of
    what you can do with the parts. They were the ones who did the hobby stuff as kids.
    Electronboy said he was in Connecticut.
    A local chain we have out west are 'Fry's Electronics', don't know if they're on the east coast.
    Parts catalogs I get (for free) that sell to individuals are:
    Mouser (in Texas)
    MCM Electronics
    Jameco
    All Electronics Corp (Calif)
    But a Google search should turn-up other mail-order places.

Ask a Question