Connect with us

Alarm clock

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by klain42, May 16, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. klain42

klain42

May 16, 2012
    Hi,

I have no electronics knowledge what so ever but I have a lot of technical knowledge in I.T.

I would like to make a touch screen alarm clock that has built in ram/processor and a small amount of onboard memory to install linux.

With some better experience in programming I hope to make a UI for the clock and build in RSS functions etc.

my plan is to buy different components and solder them together, but I'm not too sure where to start.

Any ideas?

Martin

2. gorgon

gorgon

Jun 6, 2011
    In Norway we have this saying, 'to shot sparrows with a cannon'. This project idea has a flavor of that in it.

If you know IT, you should know that running Linux require a certain hardware level, and this level is rather advanced in our sandbox. To solder chips of that complexity for a beginner is, sorry to say it, a waste of components. If your main goal is to make the alarmclock with a Linux kernel, I would recommend a Rasbery PI computer card, with Linux, and a small cell phone like LCD screen with a touch interface attached. Then you can concentrate on the electronics at a macro level, and on the programming in detail.

If you want to build the electronics yourself, start on an Arduino or equal ready made processor card/ module, and attach a LCD touch screen to it. This should be a hard enough beginner task in the electronics, and a very revealing programming task, even if you don't get Linux in the picture.

You can of course jump of the deep end and start developing the electronics from scratch, but I would not recommend it if your knowledge level is 'beginner'. Whatever you do, don't try to make a Linux computer construction/ scratch build your first project, the learning curve will bend your back.

Good luck.

TOK ;)

3. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    I'd start with a raspberry pi :)

Then I'd add an arduino (nano) via a USB port and use that to drive the clock display.

Everything else (aside from connecting the display) is IT stuff. OK, a bit of hardware bit twiddling with the arduino, but probably closest to your comfort zone.

Ask a Question