Connect with us

Alarm Cable

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Raven Luni, Dec 16, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Raven Luni

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
    Greetings,

I've been shopping around for multicore cable and the best I could seem to get was alarm cable. I bought 10m of the 6 core stuff from B&Q but there was no information ragarding current capacity etc. When I asked the staff they just gave me a patronising 'if you dont know what youre doing you shouldnt be buying it'.

Anyway - questions:
    - Is all 'alarm cable' a standard thickness (appears to be from what I've seen so far).
    - Does anyone know what its rated for? This is basically the same stuff that I bought (same brand, looks identical): http://www.screwfix.com/p/tower-6-c... and Lighting-_-Tower 6 Core Alarm Cable 100m

To test so far, I've been feeding it 2A @5V and it isnt even getting warm.

2. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    unknown here. it would be your country's own ruling.
    I know here in aus we have some pretty stock standard stuff but now they got ones that use cat5/6 cables.... others have USB.... its getting harder to define standard

3. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    Just measure the diameter with a micrometer and look up the table.
    If you hav'nt got a micrometer, strip a length of the wire and wind 10 turns round a nail and measure the winding length.

If the cable gets warm, this indicates a considerable voltage drop. Will your circuit tolerate this?

Ask a Question