Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Alan Willcox ESR Meter problem

questor42

Jul 23, 2011
Hi I am trying to build Alan Willcox's ESR Meter from the old TELEVISION magazine dated January 2005 (His updated Version)
I have all the parts and started putting it together and can't go any further.

My problem is that the pictures of the parts layout and cuts on the Veroboard are damaged and I can't make them all out.
I have searched everywhere and can't find the magazine
Does anyone have a clear picture they can send me.

questor42

Jul 23, 2011
Thanks it's a lot better then mine

Attachments

• board 1a.JPG
    board 1a.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 1,137

daddles

Jun 10, 2011
I have searched everywhere and can't find the magazine
In the "old" days, one went to the library and asked them to get you a copy of the article. Nowdays you might have to pay for it, but it's the most obvious thing I can think of doing if you can't find a copy on the web.

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
The link I posted has schematic and pcb, and full discussion of the circuit.

The veroboard layout drawing I offered is actually almost exactly the same as that in Questor's 2nd post - the only difference is that I have changed the "white" (or actually I selected the "not black") in the image to yellow.

Last edited:

questor42

Jul 23, 2011
In the "old" days, one went to the library and asked them to get you a copy of the article. Nowdays you might have to pay for it, but it's the most obvious thing I can think of doing if you can't find a copy on the web.[/QUOTE

I would go to the library if there was a chance they would have it, But the magazine was from the UK named TV and is long since gone out of business.
I am in the US and my library system don't even keep US magazines over a year old.

questor42

Jul 23, 2011
The link I posted has schematic and pcb, and full discussion of the circuit.

The veroboard layout drawing I offered is actually almost exactly the same as that in Questor's 2nd post - the only difference is that I have changed the "white" (or actually I selected the "not black") in the image to yellow.

Thanks for doing the work to make it clearer.
You are right I have the same pdf. file, I tried making it lighter that helped a little bit.
Yours made it a lot better.
It's a shame there is not a good scan of it out there because He put a lot of thought into it, Made it easy to build and has everything the cap wizard has to offer.

daddles

Jun 10, 2011
I would go to the library if there was a chance they would have it, But the magazine was from the UK named TV and is long since gone out of business.
I am in the US and my library system don't even keep US magazines over a year old.
OK, good point. I personally haven't used the library system in a number of years, but I got pretty spoiled by our corporate library, as they could usually get us virtually anything we wanted (and they ate the cost, which was nice).

However, librarians have access to most other libraries and it's likely that someone somewhere has copies of that magazine. It's worth asking your librarian about if the other sources of information don't work out.

TBennettcc

Dec 4, 2010
Now looking through the link you posted Mark, It seems there are multiple schematics posted throughout. This wouldn't be good enough to rebuild the circuit? Especially using perfboard? (Personally, I've never understood the use of Veroboard over perfboard. But, I have yet to build a circuit with it, so I can't really say for sure one way or the other.)

On the top of page 8 in the link that Mark posted, there is a Veroboard layout. Not sure if it's the same version are you're trying to build, questor, but it's worth a shot.