Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Akai GX-365D What's this "DL" in capacitor description?

RDSmith

Feb 10, 2016
IMG_9128 crop 7.jpg Howdy. I'm a rookie for sure trying to maybe get a Akai reel to reel GX-365D I bought in 1971 to function again. I guess I'm going to replace all the electrolytic caps as suggested in lot of posts here and there. I've run across a snag however and could sure use some advice. Two of the cap descriptions in the parts book include a "DL" ... see below. These are the only two caps that have this and I'm wondering if I should be concerned... what is the significance, if any, of the "DL"? Or maybe I shouldn't even replace these? I hope to include a photo. Obviously any help would certainly be appreciated.

R.Smith

33uF 160WV DL tubular
220uF 160wv tubular ( "light discharge" is written on cap - not in description)
10uF 160WV DL tubular

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Sir RD Smith . . . . .

http://www.chemi-con.co.jp/e/catalog/pdf/dl-e/dl-sepa-e/dl-summary-e-150701.pdf

I would think that our 2016 vintage of caps would now be equal or superior to those.

Of the two DL caps pointed out :
C104 ( the upper one on the PCB) is just used in a conventional filtering application.

The C103 (bottom one on the board) is used in a more novel application, wherein, it is in series with a relay coil for activating reel braking.

Upon a direction of power to that relay, the series relay coil + the capacitor, takes on an instant heavy charging of the cap and then quickly
tapers off, as charge accumulates within the capacitor initially and then tapers down as the cap charges.
The effect is a short blip of the reel braking activated by the relays contacts action .

Soooooooo . . . . . . that OLD C 103 capacitor, just might no longer be creating that function.

I wonder if they still marketed the USA destined AKAI models as Roberts brands, they certainly did that in 1961.

Looks like that relay board is ready for a QUICK wetting, and scrub down with a 1 inch paint brush and "409" and then a quick rinse and a swing "around the world" to fling of most of the water.
Then a COMPLETE air drying with all of the relay covers pointed up OR forced air drying with a leaf blower.
Will look like a new board then.

73's de Edd

Last edited:

RDSmith

Feb 10, 2016
So far guys everything has been above my head but thank you. I'll look at everything some more. I did wonder earlier if the DL meant double layer but have to wonder if Nippon made double layer caps in 1971? Does anyone know?

The thought is that I can replace these with any new cap and not worry about the DL thing? Or should I even be replacing these?

Last edited:

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Sir RD Smith . . . . .

How-to-do-it-to-it . . . . . . . . .

You really do need a helping hand . . . after all I have already told you

Order these electrolytics:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/TVX2C330MCD/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtZ1n0r9vR22SmzhV1iNnMtpFvS/jm%2b0oo=
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/TVX2C221MDD/?qs=EVG5pHsmE1zL0YqeWkAs4w==
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/TVX2C100MAD/?qs=vzraRfcGuPzNpyGliRc0Yw==

They far exceed those 1970 units specs.

The DL technology mainly comes into play in the fabrication of a more compact ( smaller dia) high voltage electrolytic.
These were probably existing stock that were used in a prior design with them being utilized in limited space areas.
The bean counters say . . . . . . "Use those up, first !"

Take particular note of their polarities when installing, usually by your marking + on board when pulling, if not being already silk screened on the PCB.

Otherwise, if forgetting, you may need to refer back to your submitted photo for their polarity referencing,

Thasssit . . . . . .

73's de Edd

RDSmith

Feb 10, 2016
Thank you everyone - particularly 73's de Edd - for the useful information/help.
It isn’t everyone who will help a perfect stranger. Thank you again.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I don't think you'll have a problem with 73's de Edd's advice.
My experience with capacitor companies is they sometimes (especially in the early days), marked their caps with a product line designation (which may stand for 'double layer', or just their product line of this cap type).
The purpose being so that you get the correct physical size/configuration when replacing them.
You've got your radial leads, and your axial leads, and sometimes larger or smaller physical sizes that might be used (or contract-built per a specific manufacture's request so that it will fit in some device they're producing).
The 'DL' is probably there to designate the type/size of that particular cap. In those days, the number of cap mfgrs was limited with only a relatively few mfgrs compared to the number of them now.
As 73's de Edd noted, today's caps have better specs and are physically smaller than the ones in your unit. Don't be surprised if the physical size of the replacements you go with are smaller than what's in there now.