Connect with us

AIWA-AV97HR volume control not working

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Sunnysat, Dec 26, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Sunnysat

Sunnysat

Dec 26, 2017
    Hi,

Volume can't be controlled manually or remotely. Indicator is always at max. What could be the fault? Any idea please.

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Does it have a manual volume control? This symptom can be caused by the ground side of the volume pot going open circuit.

3. Sunnysat

Sunnysat

Dec 26, 2017
    Thanks Steve. I've checked the POT itself and there is continuity but I'll check the in-circuit grounding.
    Thanks again.

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    There are three (or 4) connections to the pot.

One is the signal input (which will go to one end of the pot)

Another is the attenuated signal that goes to the amplifier.

The third connection is to the other end of the pot and is the common ground for the signal. If there are 4 connections, there will be 2 here, often the shields of the cables used to carry the other two signals.

If there are 4 cables, the likely fault is in the pot. If there are only three, the common ground connection may be disconnected.

Another option is that there is a short between the input signal and the signal input of the amplifier, but even with this, the volume would likely fall to close to zero when the pot is turned to zero.

5. Sunnysat

Sunnysat

Dec 26, 2017
    Thanks Steve, I'll check what you have mentioned and will be backed soon.
    Thanks again.

6. 73's de Edd

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
    Sir Sunnysat

Confirmation:
    Is the proper and full ID being . . . .AIWA AV-D97 and this being your unit ?

[​IMG]

If so . . . that is being a digital potentiometer on the front and NOT like your fathers old analog volume pot.
    It feeds in to two Bitsumishi M6249 audio processors for controlling the audio of the Center, Right and Left and the S Surround channels.

They are IC901 and IC902 . . . . . 14 pin DIP units on the main power amp board. I can give you their audio in and out pins, in case you want to troubleshoot to see if the audio will quench down at those points when being bypassed to ground.

FIO . . . the mode switching between Tuner-Audio-Aux-Etc is done by another different digital control IC.

That unit is being one commmm-plex puppy, as its $495 price way back in 2000 justified.

73's de Edd

7. Sunnysat

Sunnysat

Dec 26, 2017

8. Sunnysat

Sunnysat

Dec 26, 2017

Hi, Happy New Year to all!

My AIWA-AV97HR suffered a set back. Aside from the volume control problem, I can no longer switch-on the unit with only the relay clicking. Any body out there who had experienced the same?

Thanks

Ask a Question